Menu
WhatSteveThinks
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Graphic Drawing Tablet - advice/recommendations sought

Hiya,

My wife is an illustrator, and I'm looking to buying her a drawing tablet for Xmas. I've spoken with her and done some limited research.

I've been led down the path to Huion and in particular the Kamvas 20 Pro. However, I have zero experience in the field and thought I would reach out on here for anyone who may be able to offer some recommendations or guidance.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Graphic Drawing Tablet - advice/recommendations sought

Hello

A personaly use a Wacom Intuos Pro (large) mostly for work in lightroom with photos and find it great, the recommendations are going to be what software and what budget you have.

Have a look at https://www.creativebloq.com/features/best-drawing-tablet

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Would 2nd what DJ shadow has said, I have a Wacom Intuos Pro (medium) which was bought as a retirement present (I am an aircraft engineer) and use it to sketch designs and ideas, etc to make things in my workshop. The small one is ideal for my use, but they come in other sizes.

Probably depends on your budget, the space you have to use it, and just how fine you want the detail on the item to be (resolution).

I have also had endless fun just 'doodling' with it, and trying things I never thought of before, just to see if they work!! 

0 Kudos
WhatSteveThinks
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@HughJarsse wrote:

Would 2nd what DJ shadow has said, I have a Wacom Intuos Pro (medium) which was bought as a retirement present (I am an aircraft engineer) and use it to sketch designs and ideas, etc to make things in my workshop. The small one is ideal for my use, but they come in other sizes.

Probably depends on your budget, the space you have to use it, and just how fine you want the detail on the item to be (resolution).

I have also had endless fun just 'doodling' with it, and trying things I never thought of before, just to see if they work!! 

Thank you for your advice here. She creates her illustrations with a variety of media and then they are scanned in at a high DPI for touching up/editing. However, the laptop and programmes she's currently using just aren't up to scratch. I will have a look at the Wacom models and discuss this with my wife.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

personally i would just be asking her what one she wants and get that.
she'll know what is the best one for her.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
yongqi
Just joined
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HI , There not sure if it’s too late now but just wanted to say that I finally took the plunge and purchased a XP-Pen Artist 22R Pro drawing tablet with screen and for me I think it’s the perfect size. I’m not sure I would want to go too much bigger as the resolution is only 1920x1080.

The 22” display is a good size, it comes with a stand and is fairly light . I only have a small desk and I manage to fit it in front of my main monitor with the keyboard behind and to the side. And I store it somewhere else when not in use.

The Line quality and pressure sensitivity are all very good. I am used to smaller screens I primarily work on my iPad Pro and have been using AstroPad Luna to use it as a second screen. But the extra screen real estate is very handy. I do some digital painting and it feels very liberating to be able to zoom in close and still see what you are doing in context and not worry about the palettes getting in the way.

The XP-Pen Artist Pro product range also feature shortcut buttons which can be configured on a per app basis via the drivers so you can set up separate shortcuts for all of your applications.

At the time of purchase I was looking for something fairly big and fairly cheap and didn’t want to spend an extra couple of hundred for slightly more real estate and I am very happy with my decision, so far and am not finding the response time to be an issue.

For where it counts, line quality, pressure sensitivity and general drawing experience I have found the XP-Pen Artist 22R Pro to be very impressive and would not hesitate to recommend it to other digital artists.

I hope this helps.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos