Menu
chenks
Community elder
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Google WiFi

it's a single floor flat, so nothing between floor.
it's actually a (very smaill) 1 bedroom flat (1 living room, 1 bedrom, 1 bathroom, 1 hall, 1 small kitchen), so it's actually quite amazing just how poorly the WIFI is in this very small location (and that's me using a unifi AP as it is), and shows how thick and well built the place must be.

the conundrum may mean that the best solution is to try and place another wired AP somewhere, but the routing of such cable may be very problematic.

either that or the current unifi AP is configured badly!
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I would try and determine how much the walls are attenuating the wireless signal by testing around the flat with a downloadable wireless scanner like InSSIDer or Wifi Analyser for Android

I would be aware that interference from domestic appliances such as A\V Streaming Devices, Baby Monitors, older Cordless Phones, Fluorescent Lighting, Microwave Ovens, Plasma TVs, Security Systems, Zigbee etc. can affect wireless signals especially on the narrow 2.4GHz band.

The positioning of the Router would have a significant affect.
Placing the router very close to a dividing wall can improve the signal in the other room

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

In addition to your living room: if you only need WiFi in your bedroom, why not just try homeplugs?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

I would try and determine how much the walls are attenuating the wireless signal by testing around the flat with a downloadable wireless scanner like InSSIDer or Wifi Analyser for Android

I would be aware that interference from domestic appliances such as A\V Streaming Devices, Baby Monitors, older Cordless Phones, Fluorescent Lighting, Microwave Ovens, Plasma TVs, Security Systems, Zigbee etc. can affect wireless signals especially on the narrow 2.4GHz band.

The positioning of the Router would have a significant affect.
Placing the router very close to a dividing wall can improve the signal in the other room

i have Hue which uses Zigbee, but the issue were there before i added Hue.
the router placement isn't relevant, as it's a standalone Unifi AP i'm using.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

In addition to your living room: if you only need WiFi in your bedroom, why not just try homeplugs?

it's not just in the bedroom though.
besides, homeplugs aren't a product i ever wish to use (not for any tinfoil hat reasons though), and even if i did i don't have any free sockets at the router end (i'm already maxing out the sockets with regards to a safe load).

0 Kudos