Menu
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Google WiFi

So any of you guys use Google WiFi ? (ie the mesh router system).
I've been tempted to replace my current Edgerouter and Unifi AP with a couple of these.

Two main reasons for my thinking

1) my current set means i have poor coverage in certain areas which would mean having to put in another Unifi AP. with the cost of the AP and running cabling i'd be closing in on £100 (assuming AP AC-Lite etc).

2) i'm kinda over the stage of tinkering and extensive configs, and getting more to the stage of just plugging it in and letting it go.

i have really thick brick walls external and internal, so thinking maybe mesh is the way to go with units dotted about the place. plus google wifi seems to give me pretty much all the additional settings i really need. plus the google wifi would integrate nicely into the rest of the google appliances i have.

so, any real world use expierences?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Legend
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Google WiFi

Mesh means it’s a ‘pass the parcel’ system, so it can certainly affect speed. I do not like it for the following reasons, 1) you need a lot of repeaters if you have thick walled house or it’s very large. 2) each unit needs a brick power supply and can look ugly. Best location for WAPs is ceiling mounted, give best coverage. Ubiquiti board posts always say use wired WAPs if you can. WAPs can be PoE powered so you need no power supply where they are located. Also I hate Google!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I know I've said this a hundred times but nothing beats Ethernet cable especially when thick walls block WiFi. It could be a good opportunity to do cabling for IP cameras (some are POE) and an alarm. It may look like a hassle and expense but you do it once for years of reliability.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

i don't have any IP cameras or alarms, so that isn't a concern.
ethernet cable isn't much use when it's phone and tablets that are the devices that are connecting to the network.

running lengths of ethernet cable, whilst definitely is the best option, simply isn't a feasble option here.
it's an old style 1920's tenement, so the walls are inches thick brick, the ceilings are double height, there are no cavity walls to run anything internally and the floors are solid concrete.

all the main "big" devices are ethernet connected, but they are located next to the hub, router and switch.
everything else is WIFI (and those devices are WIFI devices).

the solution has to be WIFI, so either way I am having to install another AP, be it a second unifi AP or a move to a mesh system. adding a second Unifi will mean running ethernet to a location that will be troublesome to do so.

powerline isn't a route i want to do down.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jpeg1
Wise owl
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

running lengths of ethernet cable, whilst definitely is the best option, simply isn't a feasble option here.
it's an old style 1920's tenement, so the walls are inches thick brick, the ceilings are double height, there are no cavity walls to run anything internally and the floors are solid concrete.
which of course is the very same reason why WiFi isn't going to be working well. But of course you know that.

powerline isn't a route i want to do down.

I think you might just have to reconsider that, messy though it is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Of course you can drill through thick walls and floors. And you need not personally do it, hire a professional for this sort of job.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

i'm not going to be drilling thru 6 inch thick brick internal walls.
and drilling a solid concrete floor isn't going to achieve much!
and even then, i'd still have cables running externally around the walls/skirting.

in an ideal world, with a modern (ie cheaply build stud partion) house cabling would be the way to go, but sadly it's not the option here.
the joys of living in a well built house!

unfortunately mesh wifi seems the option that it needs be (which is really what's it designed for).
i'm not sure if replacing the Unifi AC-Lite with AC-Pro or AC-LR would make any difference. or even adjusting the power levels of the AC-Lite.
transmit power is set to "high" on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios and the 2.4 set to HT20 and 5 at VHT80 (2.4 14 dBm / 17 dBm (EIRP) / 5 17 dBm / 20 dBm (EIRP))

so back to the original question, any google wifi users, as opposed to posts that aren't 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Legend
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well I work part time in a school and have cabled the whole place with Ethernet cables. I’ve drilled through 2 foot think concrete floors and many very thick internal walls. Building was erected in 1937. It’s very easy with a metre long SDS drill. Another option is to use some of the decorative trunking now available and run it above the wainscoting. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

Well I work part time in a school and have cabled the whole place with Ethernet cables. I’ve drilled through 2 foot think concrete floors and many very thick internal walls. Building was erected in 1937. It’s very easy with a metre long SDS drill. Another option is to use some of the decorative trunking now available and run it above the wainscoting. 

as said, it's not going to happen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Mesh systems were designed to provide an integrated wireless cell solution over large open office environments, where it is easy to instal ceiling mounted APs and run Ethernet cable for PoE and Backhaul in the suspended ceiling void.
Enterprise mesh systems have been in use much longer than the few years domestic mesh systems have been around.

The solid walls and especially the concrete floor with the double height ceiling are going to provide a major obstacle to wireless propagation, so I agree a wireless solution may not be suitable for your unique wireless environment.

A wireless AP would have to be wired back to the Hub, so maybe you could find a route for a Ethernet cable that does not require drilling, like alongside your water pipes between floors. I would definitely recommend a wired route to punt a wireless signal vertically as wireless is much weaker in the vertical direction.

Asking how a Google Mesh system is performing for other people is like asking how long is a piece of string,  the performance will heavily dependant on the wireless environment it is operating in, which will almost certainly be different to yours due to the amount of variables involved.

0 Kudos