Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

GDPR Compliance, IP2Location

Hi all my network is running through a Untangle Premium firewall and then running a 24/7 server currently running TeamSpeak unfortunatly teamspeak use Ip2Location to find the location of the server (area) It used to say London which was fine. Then Ip2location decided to update there database which means ip2location shows my actual location and actual postcode the lot. I have contacted them on numerous occasions but each time the email has been ignored by ip2location.

I was wondering if there is anything I can do as I belive this is a GDPR data breach as all other ip sites show a area not my physical location.

I hope I am allowed to ask questions like this on virgins site.

Thanks everyone for your help 🙂

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: GDPR Compliance, IP2Location

Did you contact their European Union Representative, VeraSafe?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Have you raised this with Teamspeak as from what I have found although yes they use that database it is hardcoded into their server ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Although I fully understand what you are saying, I’m struggling to find any problem here. If you are running a publicly accessible server then you are, by it’s nature, publishing your IP address for the whole world to see. Geographic IP address lookups are notoriously unreliable, if, in your case it’s managed to get your post code correct than that’s more luck than judgement!

If I know your IP address (which you have effectively handed me on a plate) could I work out who you and and where you live? Not really no, and I don’t believe that IP addresses are regarded as being personally identifiable information anyway.

i can’t see there being any GDPR implications here at all.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

AFAIK if it identifies, directly or indirectly, an individual then it is considered personal information under the GDPR, read more here What is personal data?

0 Kudos