Menu
Wizen
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

FTTH vs COAX(DOCSIS) - and what hub supports which service?

Hi,

I'm a bit out of the loop with VM and broadband. I've just had Virgin project lightning FTTP installed at my property, via the BT telegraph pole, and my M500 service goes live in two weeks. For some reason, Gig1 isn't live yet in my area (despite the entire village being blitzed with shiny new FTTP nodes at the top of every telegraph pole, and new boxes on street corners).

I've had Virgin Media before at my previous property, but it was a coax line that was trenched from the pavement and through my garden to the wall, to a box around 80m up the road. This installation seems different from the outset, as it uses fibre to the exterior wall of my house, the exterior box is twice the size, and I believe I'll need two power sockets spare for installation - one for the Hub, and another for the outside box on the wall.

Could anyone explain to a layman whether FTTP lines use a different protocol to traditional coax lines? Does it connect in exactly the same way as my old VM service did via coax? Does it still use DOCSIS as a protocol? I understand that the cable running from the wall to the Hub is still coaxial cable. If so, is there a practical reason why it's converted to coax at the doorstep? Seems a bit odd to me. 

Does the FTTP service have better latency than the coax service? When comparing my old VDSL broadband line to VM, there was always a massive difference in average pings to foreign and domestic servers - pretty much an increase of 10ms-15ms across the board. Is this still the case with FTTP?

And does anyone know whether everyone on a new fibre installation will get the Hub 4? When ordering, I asked the agent whether the installation would be with a Hub 4, as I had a pretty poor experience with the Hub 3 previously. He assured me that I could ignore the order form (that stated Hub 3), and that it would be a Hub 4 that was installed. But I'm a little sceptical.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. VM's lines are choc-a-block (not a good sign), so I'm looking for answers here ahead of my installation.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: FTTH vs COAX(DOCSIS) - and what hub supports which service?

fttp is fiber to a converter at the house box. You won't see more difference. the fiber converters is at your house not the green node box.
Pars
Superfast
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You will have one of these:

Boostral 710.jpg

The conversion from fibre to coax allows everything inboard to remain common. This isn't the best technical solution but it is the most convenient for VM.

M350 over FTTP
Wizen
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah right, thanks for your response. Do you know what the point of them pushing FTTP is? Is it just for future proofing then? Seems a lot of work for something that won't be utilised for years. My installation took over 4 hours, with two engineers and a cherry picker van. And is the Hub 4 standard now? My old Hub 3 was dire a few years ago.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

The hub 4 will only be available in areas which are 1gbps enabled as it requires DOCSIS 3.1 otherwise it will be a hub 3.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pars
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My FTTP installation was done a year ago (buried microduct/blown fibre) and that has Hub3. Seems to work well enough on M350 and gives me a latency of 7-8 mS.
It's tied to legacy DOCSIS so the fibre doesn't bring much in the way of performance improvement although it will over time be much more resilient to degradation.

M350 over FTTP
Richw1982
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Fibre is more cost efficient, there is no difference in performance but is cheaper than copper and works on a mainly passive network.  Hub4 is backwards compatible so will work on Docsis 3.0 but is being offered with the 1 gig packages at the moment

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Apart from occasional in-fills in HFC areas all new installations (in non-HFC areas) are FTTP. It's uncommon to use Openreach's poles as virtually all of VM's cabling is underground. FTTP is used as it's future-proof, more reliable, less costly to maintain and quicker to install due to narrow trenching and blowing fibre (as opposed to pulling coaxial cables).

Note that all products including Gig1 are sold in both HFC and FTTP areas. By this time in 2021 the whole of the UK network should have been upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1 and Gig1 should be available to everyone.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Pars
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This time in 2021 is...........errr...............now? 🤔🤔🤔

M350 over FTTP
0 Kudos
Wizen
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

It's uncommon to use Openreach's poles as virtually all of VM's cabling is underground. 

It's interesting to see how they're deploying VM fibre here. The neighbouring villages are getting similar treatment - VM is blowing fibre underground from new cabinets to the base of BT telegraph poles, then installing two boxes on top of the poles (alongside existing BT equipment), and connecting houses up with another run of fibre encased in green/black cabling to the customer's home. I've not seen it done anywhere else. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that VM purchased Sky's trial gigabit FTTP network nearby last year?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/05/abandoned-ftth-sky-broadband-network-scooped-by-virgin...

Perhaps they're infilling the surrounding areas with similar equipment? 

Here's the equipment (sorry for the crap photos - didn't want to disturb them):

20201209_095016.jpg20201126_143358.jpg20201215_135725.jpg20210106_134006.jpg

Either way, it's pretty interesting. Just wish it didn't convert to coax for the last 1.5m.

0 Kudos