cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension need box moved and add three new points

RuthandNeil
Joining in

I have a virgin box coming in to the front room in a detached property. I have now built an extension and want two further TV and Wi-Fi points at the rear of the house and one to the top of the garden summer house. Is this possible ? 

I would still like to keep virgin tv and Wi-Fi in the front room - what i want to avoid is cabling through the house. 

I was hoping i could have spurs off the front main cable going around to the back of the house.

The run to the rear from the front is 16 meters.

the run from the rear of the house to the summerhouse is 25meters.

I don’t mind just Ethernet to the summerhouse if we cannot have TV. It is too far for Wi-Fi signal so will need cable. 

Any help would be appreciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It really all depends on the power levels available when you are, as a general rule, every split drops the power by a half or 3 dB. So what you currently have a a single connection which needs to be split into three or four (not entirely clear). To the back is, what, 15m should be OK, to the summer House is, what, 45m, might be pushing it,.

If you could forgo live TV in the Summer house then running Ethernet from the hub to there is fine, VM won’t do though, it is up to you, but Ethernet is good for 90-100m. so no problem.

Yes running coax outside the house from the box on the wall to where the connection is required at the back, really should be OK. summer house, this might be an issue but not enough information to be sure. Now even if you could have a VM TB box in the summer house, you still need a network connection to it, be that WiFi (realistically not going to happen) or Ethernet, and if the latter then why not connect an Apple TV or Roku etc. and save money on renting another VM box, unless you have a real need to watch recorded TV.

Bottom line, my recommendation is that you ignore the Summer house, get VM to run coax to the back of the house and connect whatever  you want there, and get an electrician to run Ethernet from the hub to the Summer house and fit your own switch and streaming media device of choice.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can ask, but be prepared that VM may turn down putting in an entire distribution system without any more kit being rented from them. Mass alterations to an installation will have a detrimental effect on signal levels, & if they get beyond a certain point require further amplification or services suffer.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks NODROGD 

I am prepared to pay for the extra boxes for the TV’s i was just wondering if it is even possible to split the cable have a front and rear connection.

It really all depends on the power levels available when you are, as a general rule, every split drops the power by a half or 3 dB. So what you currently have a a single connection which needs to be split into three or four (not entirely clear). To the back is, what, 15m should be OK, to the summer House is, what, 45m, might be pushing it,.

If you could forgo live TV in the Summer house then running Ethernet from the hub to there is fine, VM won’t do though, it is up to you, but Ethernet is good for 90-100m. so no problem.

Yes running coax outside the house from the box on the wall to where the connection is required at the back, really should be OK. summer house, this might be an issue but not enough information to be sure. Now even if you could have a VM TB box in the summer house, you still need a network connection to it, be that WiFi (realistically not going to happen) or Ethernet, and if the latter then why not connect an Apple TV or Roku etc. and save money on renting another VM box, unless you have a real need to watch recorded TV.

Bottom line, my recommendation is that you ignore the Summer house, get VM to run coax to the back of the house and connect whatever  you want there, and get an electrician to run Ethernet from the hub to the Summer house and fit your own switch and streaming media device of choice.

Hi Jem101

thanks that is a very good idea about the summer house - we will just have Ethernet and use Apple TV 

all we need now is the tv’s in the new back rooms - there will be two new additional teles, one in the kitchen diner and the other in the back room.

so if virgin do run a cable around from the front that will mean a drop in the power to a third of normal capacity. If that is right then we might be better off getting sky instead. As that is cheaper and they guarantee about 56 mega a sec for internet. 

I hadn’t realised the quality would suffer so much by running three boxes. 

Thanks for your advice

A splitter will have approximately 3.5 dB of loss on each port. That does not mean that a third of the signal strength is lost. You should get the multi-room option installed and if it doesn't work you can cancel without penalty.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@RuthandNeil yes as @Roger_Gooner says, splitting the cable does drop the power levels but this doesn’t necessarily mean a drop in internet speed, there is quite a wide tolerance in acceptable levels with it all still working properly and in any case the installer may be able to move your connection point in the street cabinet to compensate.

One thing you did mention, which I overlooked, you talked about a ‘WiFi point’ in the Summerhouse, if by that you mean an additional VM hub then that isn’t possible, you can only have one per account, as although they could run coax down to there for TV, you would still need to run ethernet from the existing hub to the summerhouse and install your own WiFi access point there (VM won’t do any of this). Bu like I said, if you have to run ethernet anyway to get internet access down there, then it might be easier to just have an Apple TV etc. there and use that for TV, On Demand and streamed content. That way you wouldn’t really need the coax cables run there anyway.

John

thanks that is very helpful
I would prefer to run an ethernet to the summerhouse and then make some enquiries about having the hub moved or look into the multi-room system
Neil

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I have 3 V6 box points and a Hub and all work fine - the Tech will install all the cabling/splitters and adjust all power levels.

Re... summer house... as said just run good exterior grade Cat6 ethernet cable out there and then connect some thing like this to give the wifi and additional ethernet ports.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Access-Business-WAC104-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Technicians have powered splitters called HDUs if there was not enough signal to do it the traditional way, don't worry about the power levels, 3 boxes and a hub is easy to keep in spec.