Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Expansion to South Wales

I currently live in the Southern part of Wales, around the Bridgend/Broadlands area.

I'm just inquiring to see if there is some kind of road map for development in this area, or if there are plans in the near future to expand here as currently there are no Virgin Media services available.

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Expansion to South Wales

best bet is to simply register your interest via the cablemystreet page, and you'll get a prompt if anything ever develops.
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi @YetiZ 

You can use https://www.virginmedia.com/postcode-checker to check your post code and register some details so we can keep you posted if services do become available in your area.

Having lived in Bridgend for a few years I know it's not currently available in the area - but it's definitely worth registering your details.

I hope that helps Smiley Happy

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

The nearest areas with VM service are North Cornelly and Llanharry. It would require a considerable investment to build a network into Bridgend, expect to wait for years even if VM decided to do it.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Major infrastructure works in Bridgend. My road had the ducting laid in August and surrounding g streets still being laid. No timeline for availability, understand that the duct work is the start of the process but waiting is killing me.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Major work in Brackla

VM work started in Brackla just over a week ago, they're at the top of my street now so I expect them to reach me early next week.

I've read up on how long it's taken in other areas after this stage and we could still be waiting months before we can have the service. My contract with BT ends in July so I definitely won't be taking any extension.

I'll post this here in case anyone is interested in the process and the bits to look out for like cabinets being installed on nearby streets:

https://www.chatteris.biz/blog/virgin-cable-coming-chatteris/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Major work in Brackla

it could be years.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi JulianFr,

It was laid in my part of Bridgend in late Aug / early Sept 2019 and I bought it as soon as it became available in the Oct with an install date of Nov. 

I went for the mid range I'm currently getting 370mbps download and 37mbps upload on wireless whilst watching Rogue One in 4K on Disney Plus. You won't be disappointed.

Screenshot_20200517-203435_Speedtest.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that timeframe sounds pretty good and at least I know they've already got the main infrastructure in place.

Roughly which area of Bridgend are you?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I'm surprised there is so little coverage anywhere of this, haven't been able to find anyone talking about it!

Just to tack on to this, I got in touch with Virgin directly who relayed my questions on to community liaison officer, as after I saw one one.network they were planning on digging my road up to put in FTTP I didn't want to get too excited if it could take a really long time to be put in place.

I live in Brackla (Near the Spar) and he advised that when they completed each block of roughly 500 houses and the construction of their main hub for the area, then sales should go up pretty quick after this - They are expanding rapidly currently.

Also that they are currently ahead of schedule for Brackla and his estimate was by the end of June or potentially sooner if everything goes well people in areas that have been set up would be able to start ordering packages, but this could change at any moment of course.

First offerings would be up to 500mb fiber, then likely in the next 6 months to a year when the expansion work for the area is completed the go ahead to increase speeds to a gigabit would be given.