Menu
ldwilliams
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet question

Question for all you net savvy folk.

Both my laptop and the Nvidia Shield have only a single Ethernet port, which are used to tether directly to the router.
I have managed to get them to see each other and file share okay on air so to speak, but is there any way to connect them directly?
Is there such a thing as a Ethernet splitter and if so, are they any good?
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet question

why would you want to connect them directly?
they are already connected to each other via the router.
0 Kudos
ldwilliams
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

They are but I have to manually 'wake up' the connection at the Nvidia end before the laptop is able to see it again.
I was hoping that by being wired that would be eliminated.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

would make zero difference even if you were able to connect them "directly".
it wouldn't be a case of just connecting them together with a cable either, you'd need to give each device a manual IP address.

if the laptop can't wake it up in the current configuration then it won't wake it up in the method you proposed (even after all the manual configuration required to have both devices see each other).
ldwilliams
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, oh well, was an idea .

Another thing I have just noticed, after restarting the Shield via the TV it couldn't see the laptop, but a restart of the Shield enabled that.

Any idea as to why please and what might be done to sort that out? Thanks 

0 Kudos
ldwilliams
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, oddly I disconnected the Ethernet connection, used WiFi and then shut down the Shield. 
Checked about 15 ins later and its drives were still accessible to my laptop. Reconnected the Ethernet again and put the shield into sleep mode and again the Shields drives are still available to my laptop.
The only thing was that the shields controller batteries seemed dead (which looks to be an issue with it), replaced them and all looks to be just fine Now.

Most odd.

0 Kudos