Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Dongles and short term use

HELP! I'm moving into London on 26 June (from abroad) and have to self isolate for 14 days. I need to have an internet connection in a property that doesn't currently have service. What is the best option for a short term solution. I need one or two months of good connection until I can get set up in my new home. Any help on what equipment and what connections I need to put in place quickly would be really appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Dongles and short term use

This is the least likely Forum I can imagine for the kind of advice you are seeking. Even I had to look stuff up for my reply. Virgin Media in the UK offer no products that would suit you. You wouldn't want a VM installation, even on a 30 day rolling contract. Just not flexible enough. You need to look at mi-fi offerings from Three or EE to get you on-line via the mobile phone network. Best I could find using a quick Google search.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dongles and short term use

In a situation such as this I always recommend a 4G data-only SIM card on a 1-month contract (available from all the operators, i.e. EE, O2, Three and Vodafone) and a MiFi router which will use the 4G network to create a WiFi hotspot for your devices such as a mobile phone and tablet. Search the online retailers such as Amazon and eBay and others such as Currys PC World.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection