cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do two go in to one?

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Openreach and I have a complicated and awkward "on again and off again" relationship in terms of whether they have any inclination to build FTTP in my area or not. Currently it's suddenly become "on again".

The thing is I'd like OR FTTP but ideally not another hole drilled through the wall for it. Is there any way they could cannibalise the VM entry point without completely wrecking the VM cabling etc?

*If it makes any difference the VM entry point is a simple "Roman nose" job some way away from the omnibox. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here
4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Annoying to have further holes drilled in the wall but also a bit of a recipe for disaster IMO trying to merge the connections for two suppliers through the one hole in the wall.

We have seen some of the worst installations VM can offer on here in past topics. Openreach (and its sub-contractors) are not immune from being able to match the same low standards. You may find an Openreach installer won't go near VM cables nor touch them anyway.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My OR installer was excellent.  I had already planned where I wanted the ONT, so I had already put in a double socket, trunking for the fibre, and an ethernet cable to my Router.  The only thing you need to watch out for is the bend radius of the fibre, I would suggest nothing smaller than 75mm.  I would guess if you have the hole enlarged for the OR fibre, the installer would be accommodating.  A piece of 15mm plastic plumbing pipe would be a good conduit to use along side the VM cable through the wall.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Thanks both for excellent responses (as always).

Adduxi how come you are still helping out VM victims when you are now on OR? 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cardiffman282   I have a dual WAN connection at the moment, so VM for about another 6 months or so.  In fairness my relationship with NTL/VM has been good.  I'm on a fringe area, so I've never had any congestion etc. and the circuit has always been pretty good.  Not as reliable as BT has been however.  For work reasons, I've always had a redundant VDSL connection, and just recently I've moved to 500 FTTP.  As I won't need the redundancy for much longer, VM will be going.  Also once my BT contract is up, I'll be off to a smaller ISP on a 12 month fixed price contract.  Those CPI increases are an absolute rip off.

Anyway, good luck with your route planning   🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks