Menu
markymouse
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Compromised IP address

My problem is I have been accused of accessing someones Team Talk server they claime that they have my IP address and they are going to report me to virginmedia  This is not true what can i do about this they have not said my name but they said the person lives in hounslow feltham they said they looked up my IP address talking to my technical adviser he said that can be done using a VPN plese help 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Compromised IP address

Hello

First of all do not post any IP addresses in the forum.

Claiming to have you IP address you will need proof from them, if you give it from them you check it is yours by going too, https://whatismyipaddress.com/

How did they contact you as if by email then there is no link between your email address and IP address, personally if they claim they need to proof it as this so much sound like a scam.

One thing as well the VPN company is also is has been breached the GDPR giving personal information to somebody, the way VPN doesn't server will show where the connection to their server will only show a  connection to the end point of the VPN and many people could be using the same endpoint.

Have they ask for anything from you ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

unless you are running a vpn server ony our computer other people can connect to its not going to be possible from a VPN.

VM are unlikey to do anything anyway
0 Kudos
markymouse
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for the quick responce

I am a webmaster for a charity and they contacted the chair person of the charity saying that one of there trustees had gone on there site without permission using another persons computer via remote and they live in hounslow feltham I am the only trustee who lives in hounslow/feltham they said they was going to report me to virgin media 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

let them report you. Sounds more like a scam. No way to get someones contact details from a IP address.

I can just as easier tell you that your IP address hacked into my server and unless you pay me £300 for the time i took me to fix I'm going to the police and getting you arrested.

Its clearly a scam. Stop contact and forget about it
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you can get someones contact details from an IP address, but it requires a court order being served on the ISP.

however, this is clearly baloney. tell them to fill their boots.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It would have been easy to get your approximate area "Hounslow/Feltham" from the IP address.  That may be intended to worry you, but it's all they can do without the court order.

0 Kudos
Bengie
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can you com back markymouse and give us an update please ??

0 Kudos