Menu
DMonVM
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cannot connect to website via VirginMedia

I cannot connect to a particular website via my VirginMedia broadband.
The connection times out.

I can connect using my mifi box.

I can connect with the Opera Browser using its built in VPN, no problems, so it's there!! (using not-VPN in same browser also gets timeone error.

Any ideas who is blocking who and why ?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot connect to website via VirginMedia

One of two things: A block on the Virgin Media DNS (domain name server, the internet's address book).   Sometimes this blocking is unintentional, sometimes there's a specific reason (eg illegal content, pirated software sites, malicious web sites etc).  Or it may be geo-blocking by the server, who don't wish to allow access to VM customers (either to control intellectual property rights, or to avoid the hassle of EU data protection law).

When you use Opera's VPN then you're using their choice of DNS, but also the web site sees your connection as coming from the VPN end-point, so you would appear (for example) to be a US internet user.  This invariably breaks ISP adult content filtering, and for most free VPN's you will be anonymous to the sites you visit, but you won't have high levels of privacy because if you're not paying cash, then you are the product, and they will probably record your activity and find a way to make money from it.

Regarding the DNS, Windows usually defaults to the ISP's DNS, Google hardware and software products usually default to the Google DNS, Amazon default to the Amazon DNS, and so on.  Everybody wants you to use their DNS so that they can sell your data (including Virgin Media).  Probably the best option is to instruct your devices to use the Cloudflare DNS, as that's fast and (within limits) secure so long as the user isn't connecting to illegal content, but you need to know the consequences of having a mostly unfiltered DNS.  A search on Cloudflare DNS will explain what to do if you wish.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DMonVM wrote:

Any ideas who is blocking who and why ?

what is the website?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
DMonVM
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah yes, of course. The website is www.bsug.net (and some subdomains) and it used to work until a few weeks ago with everything as is.

It could be VM stopping me getting there or it could be the hosting no likling VM.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It works for me although I do have my hub in modem mode and I use 9.9.9.9. Here's my trace route.

C:\>tracert bsug.net

Tracing route to bsug.net [193.189.74.58]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    12 ms    10 ms    11 ms  haye-core-2a-xe-233-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.8.121]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6    21 ms    20 ms    18 ms  tele-ic-6-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.86]
  7    18 ms    19 ms    17 ms  242-14-250-212.static.virginm.net [212.250.14.242]
  8    22 ms    18 ms    19 ms  xe-3-3-1-0.core1.lon2.uk.m247.com [193.9.115.143]
  9    35 ms    33 ms    23 ms  te-12-8-0.core-dc2.man4.uk.m247.com [77.243.179.65]
 10    24 ms    25 ms    24 ms  eth-13-0.core-dc2-agg1.man4.uk.m247.com [83.97.21.137]
 11    25 ms    25 ms    26 ms  te-1-49-0.xs2a.man4.uk.m247.com [77.243.185.109]
 12    25 ms    27 ms    26 ms  phantom.ukwebsolutionsdirect.com [193.189.74.58]

Trace complete.

C:\>
--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DMonVM 

It connects on my VM broadband.  I have child safe turned off, do you?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DMonVM
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

tracert: I get as far as te-1-49-0.xs2a.man4.uk.m247.com and then it all times out.

Childsafe: Yes, all things turned off. It used to connect a few weeks ago and I have changed nothing...

0 Kudos
DMonVM
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hosting company (UKWSD) have sorted me out. It was a thing I did !

I had tried to login to cPanel for that site but had an old password saved, so it failed, which caused the hosting company to block my IP.

Now we all know.

0 Kudos