Menu
Pegasus_123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can one block mobile phones using broadband

I used to be on Vodafone broadband and it had an app where you could stop a specific mobile phone from using the broadband. This would be for other householders or friends. Is there anything similar on Virgin broadband 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can one block mobile phones using broadband

Hello

You need to be a bit clearer as what you trying to do.

There are two ways to block access to the broadband connection don't give them password for the wireless connection.

Or alternatively you can use the  virgin-media connect app to place a pause on a device or limit the hrs, this is only an option if you don't have a hub 4.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pegasus_123
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am not sure what hub I am going to get as my install will be end of this month. I think it maybe 3 but can't be sure. However the aap you have mentioned I will download and see. Thank you very much

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Until you have the install the app will not  function as it requires the hub to function, you will more than likely get the hub 3.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Pegasus_123
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I believe that it should be hub 3. Is this hub any good? 

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The hub 3 will be suitable for quite a few people, the wireless is poor as it is very basic device as supplied by VM there are a lot of people on the forum who use the hub as a modem and use their own router. The functions of the hub are very basic I myself use the hub as a modem and use my own router as the hub just doesn't do what I need in my home network, although in a home environment my setup is my akin to a small business.

VM do have a mesh based pod system in place as well to help customers get a better wireless, this is VM branded Plume system.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Irishdexy
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There is a way yes - You can use MAC Address Filtering on your network to effectively blacklist any device that isn't on your Approved list. This is handy as you can even use it to control the hours the device provides internet to the device if you want really granular control.

You will get a Super Hub 3, but it is possible to do this, and as others have said Wireless on the SH3 isn't brilliant. You are better off in the long run to get an External Router which has more control on it and put the SH3 into Modem mode, which is really easy to do. If you need help, I'm sure one of us on there on the forum can help.

0 Kudos