Menu
Da_WorstNetwork
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Can I fibre Cables installed outside my house if I pay?

I contacted Openreach like two weeks to see if I can pay for fibre cables to be installed in my area. They said I would need to do a ‘community survey’ something like that in order to get the fibre cables installed.

There is a new build at near me, so they would have fibre internet available but would of it better if they installed fibre cables at the same time?

So I was wondering, what if I pay Virgin Media to install fibre cables? I get download speeds at 5-11Mbps and upload at 1Mbps and it’s a complete joke, so would it be possible to pay for installation of fibre cables to be installed?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I fibre Cables installed outside my house if I pay?

If there's an existing VM network just round the corner then the company is open to customers paying for connections, but as rough indication distances over about 150 metres won't be technically possible without additional amplification (costing thousands or pounds) and if the cabling needs a new run under pavement you're looking at costs in the region of £150 per metre from the existing network.  All that can easily mount up to some very serious money.  

In terms of any Openreach options associated with the new development, you'd be best off asking in the customer forum for BT, or a site like Thinkbroadband.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Da_WorstNetwork,

Have you used the VM postcode checker to see if VM is already available at your property?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Da_WorstNetwork
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, but not available in my area. There is a new build behind me. So I wondering if I’m able to get it installed if I pay for it. I don’t think I’ll be getting fibre any time soon. 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If the road is private, block paved or has no pavement VM usually won't touch it with a barge pole. The infrastructure in the adjacent roads will only be capable of serving those roads (number of tap points in cabinets & the maximum range of the amplifier). Adding on new roads now is usually full fibre if it was not in the original build plan, but this is dependent on there being a large demand in the road being serviced.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Da_WorstNetwork wrote:

Yes, but not available in my area. There is a new build behind me. So I wondering if I’m able to get it installed if I pay for it. I don’t think I’ll be getting fibre any time soon. 

Well if the VM postcode checker shows you can't get VM services (coax or fibre doesn't matter), then you might want to see if your area is on Openreach's plan.  Whilst lots of places are still not covered, the plan to 2025 looks like about 80% of the population will have FTTP options over the next few years, although I appreciate that's a long time to wait.

0 Kudos