Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cable network map / headends

Back in the day when Blueyonder ran an NTP News server, Alex Brown did monthly network posts that included cable network maps, list of head ends etc. 

Is this information still maintained and available?

My query is around Chippenham in Wiltshire.  It is a Lightning build out but I am unsure if it will come under Trowbridge > Bristol or whether it will come under Swindon.  The face that Calne is the next stop suggests it may be Swindon but I would be interested in seeing what the network looks like today.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable network map / headends

Hi there @markscottuk

Well - not heard that name in years! Alex Brown was a great chap and used to visit us often (usually with a box of doughnuts!)

Not quite understanding your query though, to clarify, are you trying to find out where Chippenham will fall under on our network? If that's the case, we'll see what we can find out for you 🙂 

My instinct tells me it should be Bristol but stranger things have happened with our Network!

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie;

Thanks, I am probably asking for information that is no longer meant for public knowledge so no worries if so 🙂

I have a basic understanding of the network, i.e. in our area, Melksham (Frome, Westbury, Warminster, Trowbridge) goes back to a building in Trowbridge and then in turn back to Bristol (Aztec West). (Ex Telewest)

Swindon (Ex NTL) was on a different network back in the day which got me thinking about whether Chippenham may link into Swindon and whether there are network maps showing locations of "head ends" which are where the connections end up.   Again, no worries if this information cannot be shared 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@markscottuk wrote:

Back in the day when Blueyonder ran an NTP News server, Alex Brown did monthly network posts that included cable network maps, list of head ends etc. 

Is this information still maintained and available?

My query is around Chippenham in Wiltshire.  It is a Lightning build out but I am unsure if it will come under Trowbridge > Bristol or whether it will come under Swindon.  The face that Calne is the next stop suggests it may be Swindon but I would be interested in seeing what the network looks like today.

The whole of the "West" region network runs from Aztec (Bristol). The vast bulk of the build runs from Bristol through to Frome/Warminster, with two satellite franchises in Swindon & Gloucester. Swindon, being Ex NTL, still has its own headend infrastructure, but Gloucester's analogue TV was absorbed into Aztec at the start of NGTV (Digital cable), although there may still be CMTS capacity locally.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks