Menu
m1kta
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cable In conduit been concreted in under post

Got the main TV, telephone and internet cable off the main street comes to house through a green corrugated conduit. The cables are inside it... all is fine but it would seem about 5 years ago when a fence post was replaced they concreted in the conduit under it!

Everything working fine now but can I arrange to have VM available to fix if the cable is cut as replacing said post and got to dig up the concrete to do so, high likelihood cable will get cut.

WFH so would be a minor disaster else.

Any advise?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cable In conduit been concreted in under post

You won't get VM "on standby" for this, and at the moment you won't get them to do it as a pre-planned "non-fault" call out (which would cost you £99). 

However, the concrete mix for most fence posts is not normally a strong mix, I'd have thought there's every chance of a bit of careful work with a club hammer and masonry chisel would free the concrete and leave the conduit undamaged.  I'd say dig down around the concrete ball, try chiselling it away, or instruct your navvies to do this carefully.  If you've got or can borrow an SDS drill* and use that carefully it would be a few minutes work.  If the worst comes to the worst VM will attend to fix a broken connection, and in that worst case you might have to use 4G data and a phone as a wifi hotspot for internet access for a few days.  The biggest bit of the job will probably be digging away the surrounding material to get to the concrete.

* And what right thinking person DOESN'T have an SDS drill?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

m1kta
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

I have an SDS so might take a look.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't forget goggles, because the gravel in fence post mix can splinter and fly about, and ideally use a chisel bit with rotation stop, though a drill bit will work if you're very careful. 

Whilst not involving a cable, I had to precision (well, as precision as you get with an SDS machine) trim some fence post concrete without removing the post and used this method - worked a treat.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

m1kta
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

"ideally use a chisel bit with rotation stop"

It is.

0 Kudos
m1kta
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Whilst was working the builders carefully broke apart the concrete about the conduit beneath old post remains (took out in one lump) so it came free of old concrete, relaid/rerouted it (only by small amount really and put in new post relocated by about 4", was amazed as done before I could say anything. Was comment was a worry might contain electric and might have missed (were told about other ground hazards on a survey before work started) so were extra careful. That is a big thumbs up. Leaf and Lawn were those doing the work if anyone wants to know who they were in Cambridge.