Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Boosters

Hi Team 

We have 2 boosters 

one upstairs 

one downstairs 

My wife and I both have to work at home re Covid 

As WiFi isn’t working upstairs am I right in thinking that you can’t have 2 boosters connected?

Any assistance greatly appreciated 

Thanks 

Andy

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Boosters

you can have as many boosters as you want, providing you have enough power sockets (and money).

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

But performance will vary depending on your mains electrical layout.  If the main booster unit (near the hub) is on a circuit controlled by a different fuse or circuit breaker to the circuit you've plugged a secondary booster into, performance will often be poor, and in some cases it won't work at all.  

My personal view is that plug in boosters are an unreliable solution to poor wifi coverage, and you'd be better off investing a few bob in a mesh wireless setup. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

agreed, powerline adapters (which is what these are) are generally a poor solution.

you don't even need a mesh to resolve 90% of the problem, you just need a good WIFI access point (which you will get with a good quality router).

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Or sometimes a decent wifi router does the job 🙂

See message 5.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-connection-instability/td-p/449152...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

yep i have the ASUS RT-AX88U and it's in an upstairs rooms and get whole house coverage.
my nvidia shield pro downstairs in a cupboard connects to 5Ghz at between 400-500Mbps, and my laptop connects at 2.2Gbps (albeit it's usually in the same room and those speeds are mostly pointless when everything else on the LAN is gigabit at best).

0 Kudos