cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking Samsung's updates domains

vidtek
Joining in

I am in the process of swapping from BT to Virgin fibre 240.

In the old BT hub I was able to block Samsung's domians used for auto-updates.

I do not want Samsung to update my tv, I like the present old firmware.

Can I do the same on Virgin's VMDG505 hub?

Cheers Tony. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

Not possible via the Hub.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Client62
Legend

Not possible via the Hub.

@Client62  - Thanks for this, I wasn't very hopeful.

On another query, can you tell me if on this hub I can separate the 2.4gb and 5gb wireless ssid's?

I had to run a separate router for my 2.4gb wireless as the BT hub uses the same ssid's.

Thanks, Tony.

aomega001
On our wavelength

If you have or can afford a WIFI router then most Asus ones have the ability to block domains.  I have an Asus RT-AX86U and the ability is there.  All you have to do when you get you Virgin hub is to put in modem only mode, there are instructions on the web, and then connect your new router to it.  While the Hub 5 has better range then it's predecessors it is still far from that of the Asus router, and the security options in the Asus are far superior to that of the hub too.

One could also register a free OpenDNS account with the IP of the VM connection.

The OpenDNS a/c would enable the Samsung domain to be blocked - provided the TV was using the OpenDNS name servers.

This way only the TV's updates are precluded.

You might be able to configure the same via VM's Child Safe - but that is a minefield of unreliability.

@aomega100. Thanks for the response.

When with virgin a few years ago I put the AC2 into modem mode and used an old xytel router.  That was binned along with my oscilloscope and much of my electronic gear when I moved into this grandad granny flat.  Have to fork out for a new one.

Cheers Tony

@Client62

Thanks again.  I almost exclusively use Linux now unless family or friends need my technical knowledge when I reluctantly dust off my microshaft skills.  I use proton VPN.  There are 3 domains Samsung use to force unwanted updates which usually remove previous options in their firmware.

Cheers Tony

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

@vidtek wrote:

I am in the process of swapping from BT to Virgin fibre 240.

In the old BT hub I was able to block Samsung's domians used for auto-updates.

I do not want Samsung to update my tv, I like the present old firmware.

Can I do the same on Virgin's VMDG505 hub?

Cheers Tony. 

The facility to prevent updates is typically provided by the TV maker, so look for "Auto Update" or similar and set it to Off.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Roger_Gooner

Thank you for this, but on XDA Forums, Sammygo and others have experienced auto-updates being pushed even when the no updates box has been selected.  Samsung push the updates anyway.   The only way to stop them is domain blocking or disconnecting the lan cable altogether.

For instance, the original firmware has many more features than the updates, and Samsung block retrograde firmware flashing.   Samsung management as a group really suck.   Pity they make great tv's.  I just bought the QE55QN95BATXXU and it's an amazing piece of kit.   (I used to be a television engineer and remember the days of semi-lethal EHT trays and valves - the old black-and white 15" and 17" tv's I worked on).

In case anyone else stumbles across this, here is a link to a thread on AVS Forums: Blocking Samsung TV Updates 

Tony.