Menu
BridgetC
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

BBC iPlayer

I've been having problems viewing BBC content from iPlayer on my laptop. This has happened from time to time over a long period, but now seems to be almost constant. I can't view a programme without the page freezing every few minutes, and an error message appearing.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this trouble, and if you have been able to rectify it.

Basically, I can only watch Netflix at the moment.

Thank you

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC iPlayer

Hi are you trying to achieve this on Virgins apps TV control or Virgin TV go. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
BridgetC
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I watch on my laptop through iPlayer.

0 Kudos
BridgetC
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

No Virgin apps. Just Virgin broadband
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Are you connecting the lappy on wifi or ethernet. If on wifi what frequency are you connecting on 2.4 or 5GHz?

Then try it on ethernet cable connection and see if that stabilises it. Note if yiur lappy doesnt have an internet port (like mine) you just need an ethernet adapter - to any port the lappy has e.g. USB3/USBc/Thunderbolt/MicroUSB etc - all will work.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
BridgetC
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I'm connecting by WiFi - it doesn't make sense to have to sit at a table and connect using an ethernet cable just to watch a programme.

I don't have a TV. The whole idea behind WiFi is for it to be cableless.

Thank you for your reply, I do appreciate it, but that won't work for me.

0 Kudos
BridgetC
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

ps- I'll ask Virgin about the frequency, as I don't know. That's worth pursuing.

Thank you 🙂
0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@BridgetC wrote:
ps- I'll ask Virgin about the frequency, as I don't know. That's worth pursuing.

Thank you 🙂

You don't need to ask VM, you can check for yourself by logging into your VM hub and looking at the connected devices tab.

How old is the laptop and what type of Wifi connector does it have?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@BridgetC wrote:

I've been having problems viewing BBC content from iPlayer on my laptop. This has happened from time to time over a long period, but now seems to be almost constant. I can't view a programme without the page freezing every few minutes, and an error message appearing.

<snip>

And what exactly does the error message say when the connection fails?

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@BridgetC wrote:

I'm connecting by WiFi - it doesn't make sense to have to sit at a table and connect using an ethernet cable just to watch a programme.

I don't have a TV. The whole idea behind WiFi is for it to be cableless.

Thank you for your reply, I do appreciate it, but that won't work for me.

I think @jbrennand was suggesting you try using a cable connection as a one-off test (maybe watching one programme wired up in this way) to see if the problem still happens. If it works OK with a wired/cabled connection, then that might suggest you have a wi-fi problem. If you still have the same issues using a wired/cabled connection, then that might suggest you have a laptop problem or another issue.