Menu
eabletfreak
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Are Virgin speeds too fast?

I've just subscribed as a Virgin customer on the M100 package with a promise of a minimum 54 Mbps. I've just left Sky and their superfast BB which was delivering a minimum of 46 Mbps. Sky's speed was more than ample for my needs where I stream Now and Netflix movies and watch Sky football as well as having upwards of fifteen devices connected concurrently to the wireless LAN. Apart from the odd lost connection on the WAN all my devices and streaming connections were very stable. This begs the question, why do we need such fast connections from Virgin when slower speeds probably satisfy the average customer. Are they future proofing or getting prepared for the 'big bang' that they are keeping under wraps? I hasten to add that I used to be a Virgin customer a couple of years ago and was with them for many years and recall them increasing my connection speed from 54 to 100 to 200 Mbps free of charge only to receive warning that my subscription was increasing by £3 per month not long after the speed increases. In the end I got fed up of being forced with higher unwanted speeds and higher subscriptions which I guess came along to pay for the speed improvements. I'd be very interested in the communities response to this post and hope that I get balanced feedback.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Are Virgin speeds too fast?

many people use more speed then you do.
I often download 100GB at a time and don't want to wait hours to complete the download
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Also... ultra HD 4k video streams recommend ~25Gb of bandwith - so if you have 2 or 3 people doing that and others gaming etc... it can soon get into buffering territory - particularly over wifi rather than ethernet

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
MrHalfAsleep
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have 15 devices connected the extra capacity is more than useful, if you happen to have them in use all at the same time. A lot of users on here are here for the download speed now so more than ever.  I used to be happy with 2Mb connection with NTL; however that said, I've had drops below dial-up speeds.  This to me isn't much of a concern as it usually sorts itself out. 100Mb is also a lot faster (70Mb) than some business connections that I've come across in the real world (such as it is).

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:
Also... ultra HD 4k video streams recommend ~25Gb of bandwith - so if you have 2 or 3 people doing that and others gaming etc... it can soon get into buffering territory - particularly over wifi rather than ethernet

25Gb of bandwidth?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

netflix 4k is about 40Mbps so about 5MB/s or 18GB/hour
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@spgray wrote:

@jbrennand wrote:

25Gb of bandwidth?

You're right - it is "speed" in Mbps rather than bandwidth - getting sloppy in my old age 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
eabletfreak
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for the replies and the various examples of throughput etc. It looks like my home setup is a bit tame compared to some of the mammoth usage of the responders so I have plenty of capacity for the future. My new Virgin price deal outweighs the deal I had with Sky so I will be very happy with the new arrangement once it's up and running in the new year. Maybe Virgin BB isn't really for the guy who just wants to send an email or order from Ebay. That kind of activity could easily be satisfied on Sky's 2 Mbps connection. Could Virgin offer lower speeds at lower costs, I wonder??

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There is a lower speed offer for those on Universal Credit (details here: https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/features/virgin-media-broadband-for-universal-credit-claimants) which is along the lines of something I mentioned a long time ago; I also suggested using refurbished hardware (SH1) at the time of posting. IMO it's a good offer (for basic stuff, and you could still get a YouTube video out of it), although others disagree.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:
netflix 4k is about 40Mbps so about 5MB/s or 18GB/hour

Have you seen any real life examples of content being anywhere near 40Mbps on Netflix? Anytime I've checked it's been nowhere near that.

You can view the bitrate onscreen during playback

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos