Menu
bugsears1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Amazon football on V6

Absolutely appalling jagged picture watching football through Amazon app on Virgin V6 box. 
This has been going on for a year now. 
Sort this out Virgin. No excuses. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon football on V6

I found the picture was really good on my V6, in fact the V6 picture was better than it was on my 4K Firestick watching the Leeds v Newcastle game.

Just wish Sky would allow VM to show the red button championship games in HD instead of SD, although from what I can see Sky customers need to have the UHD add on to watch those games in HD

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
bugsears1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but I don’t think you know what you’re looking for. 
There’s an inherent problem with frame rate or codec. 
There is judder and trail.

Infant this is apparent with all apps on V6. Netflix has problems when shots pan. 
Virgin need to fix these problems. 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

No such problems on either of my V6 boxes.

Perhaps the issue is with your V6, HDMI cables, or TV settings?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
bugsears1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Would appreciate it if you’d stop trolling me now. 
I know what I’m talking about.

Virgin V6 boxes have an inherent problem within the apps with frame rate conversion. This is noticeable in panned shots and sports. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

newapollo is not trolling you - these are genuine comments. I am watching the game right now on the V6 and have no problems either - so by definition it is not an "inherent problem" in the V6 box - it must be somewhere in your set up.  Might be helpful if you say what TV make/model you have, what port is connected by HDMI cable, what cable is it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
bugsears1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Football looks perfectly fine on my set up when watching on BT or Sky Sports on V6 box. Problem occurs when watching an app such as Netflix or Amazon. 
Problem is on movement such as sport or camera pan.
Clearly a problem at Virgins end. 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Can't say whether this is a Virgin Media only issue as I have nothing to compare it with.  However, what is clear is that the picture quality on Amazon prime isn't as good as the linear channels such as BT Sport and Sky Sports.

I noticed this when watching the Autumn nations rugby.  I did look at the last five minutes of the Liverpool game after seeing this thread and the quality was similar to the rugby, not as good as on the linear channels.

Edit to add link to similar thread re prime:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/Amazon-Prime-Rugby/m-p/4496871#M55239

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I also have to report having no issues with watching the football on the V6 earlier. Sounds more like a setting issue on your TV to me, but could also be a faulty box. Would probably notice it on more than Prime if it was a faulty box though.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I do agree that the quality of the footy on Prime doesn't quite match that on Sky but its not too far off - and I would not describe it as "absolutely appalling".

One anecdote I can share is that when I had a "sound" issue/problem on my new Samsung TV (not a 4K), a few years ago, my first thought was to call VM to get the V6 fixed. But I first went onto the Samsung forums (UK & US) where there were literally dozens of posts from people experiencing all sorts of sound and picture issues with their new (usually 4K) Samsung TV's connecting to their favourite/local cable TV "box". Long story short...

I contacted Samsung UK support who said.... “one of our representatives can remotely access your TV to perform the HDMI EDID rewriting before it establishes the connection with the V6 box and the other HDMI-supported external devices”.

They did that (whatever that is!) and the problem was sorted.

In the absence of any VM "fix" for this particular issue I would be straight on to the TV manafacturer's  fora and support website to see if the users there have any suggestions for fixing this type of issue.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos