Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Altering, adding, or moving VM equipment

Hi. I want to replace all the internal black CTFC/COAX cables with white coloured cables. I know which type of cables to replace them with, but I want to know if this will cause any problems, or breach the T&C.

Secondly, due to remodeling, I want to move the V6 from the ground fl to the 1st fl. There's two cables coming out of the outdoor brown box, one goes into the ground fl LR (for V6), and one wraps around to the back of the house going into the 1st fl LR (for SH3). I intend to remove the splitter in the brown box, and connect the SH3 line directly into the incoming line using a barrel connector. I then intend to attach the splitter to the incoming line in the 1st fl LR, and then attach 2 cables to the splitter, one for the SH3, and for the V6.

Would any of this be a problem? For example, the signal now has to travel around to the back of the house for both broadband, and TV (I'm already using a VM provided booster for the SH3).

Any answers are welcome. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Altering, adding, or moving VM equipment

you can't replace or modify the cables.
Only VM are allowed to modify anything VM network side of the hub.

Don't do it

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Luqybb91 wrote:

Hi. I want to replace all the internal black CTFC/COAX cables with white coloured cables. I know which type of cables to replace them with, but I want to know if this will cause any problems, or breach the T&C.

Secondly, due to remodeling, I want to move the V6 from the ground fl to the 1st fl. There's two cables coming out of the outdoor brown box, one goes into the ground fl LR (for V6), and one wraps around to the back of the house going into the 1st fl LR (for SH3). I intend to remove the splitter in the brown box, and connect the SH3 line directly into the incoming line using a barrel connector. I then intend to attach the splitter to the incoming line in the 1st fl LR, and then attach 2 cables to the splitter, one for the SH3, and for the V6.

Would any of this be a problem? For example, the signal now has to travel around to the back of the house for both broadband, and TV (I'm already using a VM provided booster for the SH3).

Any answers are welcome. 

you can't do any of this yourself.
only virgin can do it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So I can't replace the black cables with VM produced white cables of the exact same length?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

no you'd have to get VM to install them.
Why not get some trunking and hide the cables in that

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

One white cable running along white skirting tacked with white clips looks a lot more discrete than trunking, and using dots of hot glue rather than clips would be even better, in any case, I'm not doing it now. I'll get a new line run at some point in the future.

I have another question, just out of curiosity, say if I wanted coax/TV sockets in every room, would a virgin technician do that for me? Meaning would they fish the cables through the walls, or would I have to get it done with my own cables, and then tell them which ever socket I want a V6 box connected to, and they then set it up? 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

no they wouldn't and they won't use cables they didn't install.
you can't buy the cables VM use they are made for VM.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Actually, there's cables better than the CTFC-T10 cables Virgin use. HD100 coax cables beat them in performance, and they were the ones I had planned to use. The Amphenol CTFC-T10 cables VM use are just custom variants of WF100 coax cables. HD100 cables are superior in performance. Also, you can find people selling unused VM cables on ebay. 

If there's any engineers here, maybe they can tell me why they don't use them.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

they may well refuse to use them still but you can install them and try your luck

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No, I wouldn't dare breach the T&C. When I plan on having VM run another line in the near future, I'll ask the engineers about this, why they don't use HD100 cables, and would they setup tv/broadband in a home run with third party cables superior in performance to the ones they use. 

I'll let you guys know what they say.

0 Kudos