Menu
SladeA
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Advice needed on wifi configuration

Hi, I'm in the middle of a major house renovation ATM and am looking for some advice on how to configure wiring, routers, boosters, dongles or whatever, so that I can have:

- 2 TV points, downstairs front and back rooms

- Good connection for a desktop computer (currently connected to router with an ethernet cable)

- Good WIFI signal throughout the house

At the moment I have VM connection via a brown box at the front of my house. The cable comes through into the front room. There is a splitter in that room, one end of which is connected to the router, the other to a TV. Can I get a second TV connection to the back room without a physical wire? Can I get a connection to a desktop computer without an ethernet cable? Or if I must have wires, how can they best be concealed, as at the moment they have to go around a chimney breast and through a hole in the wall between the front and back rooms? TIA for your thoughts!

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Advice needed on wifi configuration

I'm unsure what speed you are signed up for however it may be worth researching powerline adapters such as:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPA7510KIT-Gigabit-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B07349P1TX?th=1 

The devices use your power lines, instead of a long ethernet wire, to create a connection between multiple devices. The one I linked to even has a wireless booster/extender built in.

That being said you will never get a better replacement than direct ethernet cable to the HUB!

Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you are doing major work in your home do not even consider power lone adapters. 
The best way is to have a good quality Wireless Access Point downstairs and another one upstairs, cabled back with Ethernet Cat5e/6 cable to where you have your VM hub or own router is located. The cable is very cheap and it’s always best to have two cable threaded through. 
You can certainly have another V6 in another room, but it will need to be installed by VM. The will either take a coax from your brown box or current splitter, whatever they consider best. You should also feed an Ethernet cable to the location of new V6 from your current hub as it’s much better than WiFi. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
SladeA
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies. After some thought I've decided to call out a VM engineer to fit a second TiVo box. I'm hoping the engineer can advise on the best wiring configuration, before the carpentry and cabinet work is finalised. It seems that some hard wiring is inevitable, which I don't mind, as long as it can be kept hidden away as much as possible.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A Tivo does not require connecting to the Hub - the coax connection does it all.  But a V6 does need that connection. The V6's can be connected on wifi and I suspect that the tech will just advise to do that. But, they are way more stable on an ethernet cable connections to the Hub (or your own router).
Even if you are sticking with Tivo's for now, at some point you will want the way superior V6's (or whatever follows it) and you will kick yourself if you haven't laid in the ethernet cables to support that, like Tudor has said.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It must be remembered that a lot of users still call the V6 box a TiVo, just like most of them refer to a Hub3 as a SuperHub3. ahhh.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos