Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: AMD Radeon (TM) R3 graphics

Sorry Benjie. Only just found this an hour ago. I've done as you suggested and backed up. Thank you.

I haven't been able to use my laptop as it now freezes and lets out a terrible loud grating buzz. The first time, I stuffed it behind some cushions it was so loud. After a few minutes, I was worried about it overheating so took it out and eventually managed to shut it down by keeping my finger on the off button for a while. (Tried a few times before it worked.) I can get on for up to half an hour before it screams at me. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 12 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like the display driver is crashing or it could be disk write errors. Are you using Windows 7 or Windows 10?  Can you give us the make and model of the laptop?  This would be extremely helpful.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply. Is any of this any use?

HP laptop 14-cm0xxx  32GB Cloudbook

Laptop-9VT4H84H

Processor AMD A4-9125 RADEON R3 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C

+2g     2.30GHz

Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.88 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64=based processor

Edition Windows 10 Home in S mode

Version 1903

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 14 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yes this is helpful.  From what I can find your machine is low on resources, hence why it crashes.  If you've upgraded from Windows 7, this explains why it is slow.  The processor is soldered to the motherboard making it difficult to upgrade. It and only has 2 cores and 2 threads (really old by today's standards).  Integrated graphics and a small disk make it really struggle resulting in the problems you've detailed above.  The only things you can upgrade is the RAM (this is a good idea) and the hard disk, although this could be done cheaply and you could get a bit more life out of it, I believe it is time to get a new machine.  It's a really basic computer.

I found this link on the HP website that suggests you should use online storage (Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive etc; using both would be a good idea): https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05449785 and there is also information on clearing internet history and temp files.  My sister has an old laptop (from 2012) which also runs on the 1909 update from a download and reinstall (the latest is 2004 which takes ages to install).

Since you have backed up all your photos and other stuff to an external drive, you could just do a clean install of Windows.  Hope this helps.

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for that information. I bought this laptop exactly 1 year ago. Having no knowledge of computers, I thought it seemed ok. After a few months, I thought the only problem was lack of storage for documents and photos. I am trying to complain about my problems to Argos, where I got it, but my new phone SIM doesn't work. Maybe it's me. Ha ha.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 22
Flag for a moderator

P.s. It came with Windows 10 but I reinstalled it recently.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 17 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Your RAM is barely adequate. Over many years I've updated various machines using Crucial, it's worth a try doing a scan and seeing what's available.

https://uk.crucial.com/ 

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Roger. I found a memory scanner from a post in the PC Matic newsletter. I ran it and it didn't find any problems. I've had a look at your link but it says I need to come out of S mode to run the app but I can't go back to it after. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 19 of 22
Flag for a moderator

No, it's not you at all.  IMO Argos are the bad actors in this case and they shouldn't be really selling these machines; as by today's standards, they really aren't viable.  Windows itself takes a huge amount of disk space (about 10GB; almost 1/3 of your drive).  8GB should be the minimum amount of RAM.  Since it's been almost a year, I would look into the Sale of Goods act 2015 as it is unfit for purpose. IMO they also should give you a refund.  Throw it out on here and more knowledgeable tech types will further suggest that it isn't much cop.  Section 14 (2B) is what I'd have a go at.  If you have the receipt and box for it, take it back when they're open.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54/2015-10-01 

Alternatively, you could ping an email to (or threaten Argos with) BBC Watchdog.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007tcw7/contact (link to One Show)

As for phone SIM cards (not VM), I was sent one that didn't work for 2 days then I lost 30 quid credit by not using it...😡

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that. I've got 29 GB, the system uses 14 GB.  I have tried contacting Argos. I did have someone get back to me on the chat on the website asking for the order number, which I have left with them. It took 3 days to get that far and I'm expecting it to be another 3 days to hear anything else. Hmmm, didn't think of the Sale of Goods Act or Watchdog. I'll try that.

I did get through to Virgin Mobile, eventually, to be told I must have broken the phone replacing the sim so I should take it somewhere to get it repaired. Meanwhile, I found a 10 year old phone in a drawer (which I kept for backup) to put the sim in and found people can phone me but I can't phone them and I can't send or read texts. Also looks like there is a phone message I can't get to. I think that phone has seized up and needs WD40 (lol). Looking for a new phone now. 

I do think it's me - I've had problems over the last couple of weeks with my laptop, phone, tv box and printer. All not working properly. Gives me something to do though. Ha ha.

0 Kudos