cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

live tv online when 'away' is a bit of a joke

GRW53
Tuning in

I've never had a straightforward simple access to my Virgin programs while away from home....

Should be simple shouldn't it...?

Load the app select the program and watch.... until you find the app won't run on the device you have. so you try to access through a browser, only to find that browser isn't compatible with sky...so you then download another browser  or try to,  but because you are tethering to your virgin phone  it takes forever so you give up with that option.

You then decide to watch something that doesn't rely on a sky player, only to find that you're blocked due to copyright ...

You end up watching the channels that you don't need virgin for in the first place...

Why is Virgin so crap..?

Virgin shout about watching virgin wherever you GO......but in reality, Virgin rely on every other provider's software/apps and you never know whether what you have is end to end compatible until you try it and 9 time out of 10, it isn't....

I believe the packages offered by Virgin are probably the best value for money on the market BUT have always been let down by their amateur approach to TV on the GO....they have never got it right and they have never listed a compatible device from which all providers and all programs can be accessed from.....

24 REPLIES 24

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GRW53 

TVGO apps can be run on ios and android mobile devices, along with web based browser versions on MAC and PC's,  but haven't been developed to run on LG's WebOS devices as they are based on Linux. VM have no control over which browsers are available on WebOS devices which can play the web version of TV GO.

TVGO isn't supported on Amazon devices either as it's a cut down version of android, and therefore not available in the amazon app store. You can sideload the app on to the Amazon devices via a 3rd party (not recommended) and it may play, however you would also need to download another app such as mousetoggle to actually manoeuvre the TVGO interface.

Also see the screenshot below taken from https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/how-to-use-virgin-tv-go-app 

tvgotvgo

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

No idea you tell me.....

The extract of small print that my 'first responder' sent me, which I still haven't found on the Virgin Web Site, mentions certain browsers and the TV GO  app as being the only methods to view and says that some IOS devices may not work. It certainly doesn't say the app isn't available for specific operating system or on LG...

However, this is all irrelevant, as the issue is that any info regarding limitation of the app is hidden away  and incomplete.

The marketing position of everything you see up front is that TV GO provides viewing when you are on the move...There is no mention of having to use other providers apps or any operation system or operating platforms on which the app won't run or is limited...

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You seem to be coming from the position that any marketed app should (by default) be compatible with every permutation of OS & SW unless the app provider specifically excludes a particular combination, and makes such exclusions prominent in their marketing.

Whether that's a realistic position or not, I'm not commenting on - but it's not the position Virgin Media take and that's what matters here. I also gravely doubt that Sky take much different a stance with their apps.

Ultimately, you need to choose the pay-TV provider that best suits your requirements, but I think you'll struggle to find one that supports what you're trying to do here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for this I will remind myself next time I need to use TV GO while away....

Perhaps Virgin could make this information more accessible to help idealists like me, that it's not all I might think it should be...

Thanks again

Thanks for this....

I understand were your coming from, but all I expect is a clear description of what to expect....and you don't get that.

I think Virgin could do a much better job with TV GO. The principle we worked around was a simple user interface means a more thoughtful and a more complicated back end whilst the opposite is true and to have a product that has so many separate dependencies, to me. is a 'bit of a joke' and Virgin could do much better.

Probably not possible, but all the technology to integrate and display the various channels is built into the set top box.... Repack the TV logic into an app and stick and run it over a broadband connection then everything available thru the set top box is available with a single log on... 

Seems simple to me and I reckon they have the resources..

Anyway thanks for the reply and other than TV GO Virgin offer the best value for money so I won't be trying anyone else..