cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watching virgin tv on the go with a family Sim (rather than the primary sim)

tap876
Tuning in

I am slowly learning what is available on Virgin media tv on the go.  I have had virgin media for 18 months.

I've learned

1. There are 3m hotspots I can use to watch tv on a tablet or phone only 

2  I can't watch TV  on an actual tv screen using my SIM or hotspot in my campervan (is that right)?

3.I need a second SIM to watch on my tablet away from home (is that right)?

With a basic second/family virgin SIM (with little or no data included) can i use hotspots to watch tv on a tablet without racking up big data bills to pay on my SIM?

Please   excuse the lack of knowledge. It is difficult to even know the right questions to ask to increase knowledge.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi tap876, 

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. Don't worry about lack of knowledge, were happy to help answer your questions. 

Your question relating to watching TV on an actual TV screen with your sim card or through our hotspot is correct you can't currently do this. Whether this changes in the future, we will let you know. 

For your 3rd question, you would either need to get a data sim card or upgrade your current sim to include more data so you can hotspot. 

You can check the link here  for current deals with our mobile sims.

If you have any further questions about this, please come back to us and we will answer as much as we can.

Kind regards Jodi. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi tap876, 

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. Don't worry about lack of knowledge, were happy to help answer your questions. 

Your question relating to watching TV on an actual TV screen with your sim card or through our hotspot is correct you can't currently do this. Whether this changes in the future, we will let you know. 

For your 3rd question, you would either need to get a data sim card or upgrade your current sim to include more data so you can hotspot. 

You can check the link here  for current deals with our mobile sims.

If you have any further questions about this, please come back to us and we will answer as much as we can.

Kind regards Jodi. 

tap876
Tuning in

Thanks for your response Jodi. I didn't quite understand in the context of my current package - Ultimate Oomph.

1, I currently have the oomph package with unlimited data so I could use that on my phone to watch online unlimited. Yes?

2. The extra SIM, I would get it on the family package to use in a tablet away from home. I though I could use a basic sim (to access hotspots without needing to buy lots of data.  Can I access hotspots with the most basic sim, without buying lots of data (which it would take to watch away from home on a tablet)?  

3. If I can't attach a second SIM using hotspots (without buying lots of data) what would be the point of their being hotspots?

4. My Ultimate Oomph package runs out in May - would I be able to do the same as I can do now with the Ultimate Volt package?

5.  I know I could put my current unlimited SIM in the tablet instead of the phone but could I use a tablet as a phone? I'm thinking that wouldn't work but maybe I am wrong. I am finding it a bit difficult to get to grips with it all.

I appreciate your help. thanks and regards

Hi tap876,

1. This is correct, you would use the data connection when not connected to the Wi-Fi. This would be subject to the data plan which you subscribed to and it looks like you do have a unlimited tariff subject to the fair use policy.
  2. You should be able to connect to the hotspots with any sim and when they are available you will be able to connect to them, if you turn of the data when this is done no mobile data will be used
  3. The unlimited Volt package will allow you to do everything which your current sim does, it would be advisable to check the terms and conditions with 02 as they may differ.
  4. You would not be able to use tablet as a phone as a tablet does not have a cellular connection, some tablets use data, and this can only be used for the internet. However, you could download WhatsApp to make texts and calls.

Hope that helps answer any questions you may have 🙂

Beth