Menu
CMor
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VirginTV Go Device registration rules

Hi I posted an Item yesterday,  after I had reached the TV Go Device limit..although I had not added a new device.

I also notice that there are dozens of identical and related questions about the same topic.

Could someone at Virgin confirm the rules about TV Go Devices,

1: Does the Browser you use count as one Device?

2: If you upgrade a Browser will you need a new Device?

3: If you delete your Browser cache will you need a new Device?

4: Does TV Go only work with Firefox and Safari browsers? (ie No Chrome or IE)

5: Is Silverlight required?   (But I read that Microsoft has deprecated Silverlight)

6: You can only make two Device changes per month?

7: When you hit the Device limit you are blocked for the rest of the month?

8: When you reach the limit you have to get in touch with Virgin support to be reset?

Apologies, if there is a website telling me this.

If I know the rules I will try to work around them in future.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Ben_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: VirginTV Go Device registration rules

Hi Cmor,

No worries! I'll try my best to answer these. 

1) Yes it will. 

2) It shouldn't be

3) This shouldn't cause you to register it as a new device

4) Firefox is supported

5) Silverlight is still needed.

6) You can make one change a month.

7) Are you referring to the device limit or the change limit? You'll still be able to watch things if you hit the device limit.

8) We wouldn't normally do this. 

There is more information regarding this here virg.in/gohelp.

0 Kudos
Martin_Hill
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The following is a direct quote from Kath_F of the forum team to irhooper in the thread 'Maximum Devices Reached':

"I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with this. If you have updated the browser or the software then you would be required to re-register your device. As well as this, if you've set your Cookies or Cache to delete automatically then this could require you to re-register too."

Compare this to the responses above by Ben_N of the forum team to the questions posed by Cmor:

2: If you upgrade a Browser will you need a new Device? - 2) It shouldn't be

3: If you delete your Browser cache will you need a new Device? - 3) This shouldn't cause you to register it as a new device

The choice of words is interesting; Kath_F using "would" and "could" while Ben_N uses "shouldn't"—not that it can't or won't, but shouldn't. Now I'm not suggesting that either of the forum team members is lying, but the fact we are being told two different things with regard to device management is redolent of the whole problem—no one really has any idea as to what is going on, and no one really has any idea as to what is going wrong.

Recently this forum has been populated with threads referencing problems relating to device management, and the response by the forum team has been half-hearted at best—most replies to an initial query will come a couple of weeks after the poster's complaint and beyond the first day of the following month (when device changes can be made—hence problem 'solved' [for now, until the next browser/system upgrade]). I wouldn't dare to speak for everyone, but I think that most people want honesty in the replies they receive to their queries, even if that honesty means we don't get the answer we were hoping for.

0 Kudos
CMor
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben,
VirginTV Go Device Device change limit rules

Thanks for the reply.
In a summary then, it seems that if a TV-GO user, by chance, upgrades the Firefox Browser, they just have to wait until the end of the month to be allowed to use the system again.

Have you ever come across a Software Service like that elsewhere?
Chris

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@CMor wrote:

5: Is Silverlight required?   (But I read that Microsoft has deprecated Silverlight)

Silverlight is only used for IE11 on Windows 7, and for Safari 11 and below on OS X / macOS.

Any other supported browser won't need or use Silverlight.

@CMor wrote:
Hi Ben,
VirginTV Go Device Device change limit rules

Thanks for the reply.
In a summary then, it seems that if a TV-GO user, by chance, upgrades the Firefox Browser, they just have to wait until the end of the month to be allowed to use the system again.

Have you ever come across a Software Service like that elsewhere?
Chris

I'd expect it depends if the browser upgrade either deletes the browser media licence for TV Go, or changes the browser in such a way that it needs to be re-registered as a licenced device.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos