Menu
MarkSmurph
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Go blocking my Virgin IP address

For the last couple of weeks I haven't been able to use Virgin Go in the house (I sometimes watch TV on my PC while working on other things).

I get the error: Not available  Sorry, this programme is not available in this region.

This happens on my PC, 2 laptops and my Android phone, using Chrome, Firefox, Edge and the Android app.

I have found that it works fine when using my mobile data (GiffGaff) on the mobile app and on my laptop when tethered to my phone, so it appears it's my Virgin Internet connection that is the problem.  Specifically my IP address is being blocked.  Somehow Virgin has its own IP address marked as being abroad.

And no, I'm not connected to a VPN.

Any help to unblock my IP address would be appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Go blocking my Virgin IP address

Hi MarkSmurph, 

Thanks for your post 🙂
I am sorry to hear this, when was the las time you did a pinhole reboot? 

I would advise checking here to see if your IP is blocked. Usually, the IP block occurred because of one of the following reasons: ... Other people used this public IP address for suspicious activities, causing it to be blocked. Your computer is infected with a virus and is, for example, sending out spam. Someone on your network has a virus or is related to suspicious activities.

Zoie

0 Kudos
MarkSmurph
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, missed this reply originally.  Thanks for getting back to me.

My IP is not on a blacklist.  Even if it was, it would be strange for Virgin to block their own IP address, surely!
There is nothing on my network that would be seen as suspicious (trust me, I'm an IT Consultant).

I'll try a pinhole reboot in the morning, although I have it in modem mode.

Mark

0 Kudos
MarkSmurph
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Alas, a pinhole reset made no difference. 😞

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why don't people read the error messages?

IT professionals and Virgin Media staff alike:

I get the error: Not available  Sorry, this programme is not available in this region.

This tells you all that you need to know.  Whoever provides the GeoIP database  that VM Go is using thinks that your public IP address is not in the UK..

I did note the fact that you said you weren't using a VPN so we can rule that out straight away.  In fact it's not the first time it's happened, people have suffered the same issue with Iplayer and the National Lottery in the past.

What do you see if you go here:

https://whatismyipaddress.com/location-feedback

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MarkSmurph
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It says, quite correctly, that I'm in Edinburgh.

And I did read and understand the error message.  What I want to know is why Virgin doesn't appear know its own IP addresses, full stop.

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @MarkSmurph,

Thank you for your posts. We're here to help.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having a bit of trouble watching some content on Virgin Go via Wi-Fi. Is this affecting anything that you choose to watch, or only certain content?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
MarkSmurph
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's affecting all Virgin Go channels.

I can start watching when tethered to my mobile data, then switch to my Virgin Wi-Fi as a workaround, but that isn't ideal.

Thanks,
Mark

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @MarkSmurph,

Thank you for getting back to me so promptly and confirming.

I'm going to send you a private message in a moment to take a few additional details so that we can take a closer look at what's going on. Please respond to this at your convenience and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide