cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Go app channel selection

PaulVP
Dialled in

Hi,

I can't see how to directly select a particular TV channel on my 360 box using the Go app on my android phone as a remote.

I would like to key in the channel number, but when I use the keyboard I just get a search for the number I enter, not the TV channel itself.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

Paule
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @PaulVP 

I haven't managed to get it to work by typing in the channel number.

Instead of clicking on the keyboard icon and typing in the channel number you should click on the Menu icon on the left hand side.

This will bring up the Home screen on the TV, then use the navigation buttons on the remote app to move over to Guide and click OK. Now bring up the keyboard and type in the name of the channel you want, eg BT Sport 2 and  then scroll down and select it from the list and  click OK.

Using the above method you can also typing the name of a channel - for example  ITV which will bring up a list of all the ITV group channels, scroll down and select the channel you want by clicking OK (eg ITV1 HD or ITV3+1, or even ITVX to open the app)  You can also open netflix, Prime etc using the above method.

EDIT - That's on android devices, I don't know if it's any different on ios devices.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @PaulVP 

I haven't managed to get it to work by typing in the channel number.

Instead of clicking on the keyboard icon and typing in the channel number you should click on the Menu icon on the left hand side.

This will bring up the Home screen on the TV, then use the navigation buttons on the remote app to move over to Guide and click OK. Now bring up the keyboard and type in the name of the channel you want, eg BT Sport 2 and  then scroll down and select it from the list and  click OK.

Using the above method you can also typing the name of a channel - for example  ITV which will bring up a list of all the ITV group channels, scroll down and select the channel you want by clicking OK (eg ITV1 HD or ITV3+1, or even ITVX to open the app)  You can also open netflix, Prime etc using the above method.

EDIT - That's on android devices, I don't know if it's any different on ios devices.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi, many thanks for your reply.

I must be really thick, but I can't seem to replicate what your instructions say.

I must admit that I am of a certain age now and I do find it difficult to suss out how things work.

There doesn't seem to be any guides or instructions for the Go app anywhere, it's just a 'try something to see if it works' type of app.

I'm sure I'll get it in the end.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers 

Paule

Hi PaulVP, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your issues in the Community.

We're sorry to hear you're having some trouble with using TV Go. 

You can view more information on how to use this here 👉 How to use TV Go

When using the app for control, you will need to ensure your box is connected on the same network. 

• For iOS, tap the Connect to TV icon at the top right hand side of the screen.
  • For Android, go the main menu > Guide > My Shows > Manage > Info > Remote Control

Keep us posted on if you have any further issues. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

Thanks for your concern regarding my use of the go app.

I have tried following the instructions given to me, but it appears that the app I'm using isn't the same. I follow the introduction given: below

• For Android, go the main menu > Guide > My Shows > Manage > Info > Remote Control

I go to main menu, then guide,  then I can't see the other options given.

The app on my android phone does work and I can control my TV and watch live or recordings, although I find it to be rather un-intuative.

All I really want to do was to go directly to a TV channel, i.e. key in the channel number somehow, but I cannot find out how to do this.

I would want to do this either controlling the TV box or watching live on my android phone.

If it's not possible to do this, please advise if it is possible or not.

Thanks.

Paule

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey PaulVP, thanks for all the posts and replies and sorry to hear of the trouble with using the TV Go App as a controller to switch channels.

Could you please advise if your TV 360 remote has broken or stopped working, or if there's another reason why you're using the TV Go App as a controller instead?

Is there anything we could help with regarding your VM remote?

Unfortunately, the TV Go App does not have the option to key in the number of the channel you wish to watch and switch to it so you'd have to bring up the channel guide and go through the channel options there.

Regarding watching the content on your mobile handset, do you experience any issues with changing channels or similar there?

Please, share more so we can advise - happy to help.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Before having the 360 box, we had an old TiVo box where we could use two hand controls, which we found useful. However two controllers do not work with the 360 box.

I was advised that the Go app on my android phone could be used as well.

However, I find that there is not much help or information on how to use the Go app. It's just trial and error to try to find out how to use it.

I find it's not very intuitive to use and it's difficult to get constructive help from Virgin.

It's been finally advised that the Go app cannot change TV channel by directly keying the channel number, after several times of asking.

Links I have been sent that I'm told would help to use the app do not really help. They seem to tell what the app can do, but not how to do it.

I feel that all of this is a backward step in controlling the TV experience. I guess it is what it is and we'll have to put up with it.

The whole process of upgrading to the 360 box had been frustrating and difficult. I've experienced setting up problems, control problems and billing problems during the whole process.

Not really what I wanted, to be honest.

Regards, Paul

Paule

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Paule

Regarding additional remotes. As you are aware each 360 remote pairs 1 to 1 with the box, it does not use infra-red (IR). This means you can only use one remote with a box and not multiple.

You can however use some third party remotes such as the OneForAll URC7125 - use the SimpleSet setup process and choose Ziggo manufacturer. There's also the OneForAll1240 - if you enter code 1582, It's not as expensive as the 7125 and has 4 selects for tv/sat/amp/dvd

Also the Logitech Harmony remote works.  You need to set them up as a "Ziggo Mediabox Next" 

Some TV's smart remotes also work with the 360 box. I have an LG and can set it up to control my 360.

Some TV's recognise the box as Virgin, with others you may need to search for Ziggo, or Ziggo Mediabox Next.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

Obviously I wasn't aware that the 360 box was not IR and I purchased an extra control, only to find out it didn't work with two controllers.

I'm not really interested in buying another TV remote. Once bitten twice shy.😕

There was no obvious relatable info on how the 360 box worked, and what it entailed, before I had it delivered.

Thanks again for your input though.

My opinion of Virgin still remains the same. Poor!!

Regards

Paule

We are so sorry to hear you feel this way @PaulVP and we are sorry for any inconvenience regarding this box. 

You can read up on the 360 box here as well as get information on how to use the apps with the box. 

Thank you again