Menu
brightskyapps
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This program is not available in this region

I have to use a VPN with my work (because it is secure) and it is connected to a VPN server in London. But when I try to use my virgin tv on the go I get this error. I know that it is London as the geoIP shows London. 

Are Virgin preventing anyone using a VPN from using their service which we pay for? It’s not in the contract that I have to be insecure and not use a VPN?  

I’d like the official word on this. Because, if Virgin are preventing people from using a service they pay for because they are protecting themselves with a VPN then I believe there is a class action opportunity. 

Using a VPN which is UK based is not a bad thing, it’s a security step that everyone has the right to do, if Virgin are preventing us from using what is our right (when this is not in their T’s&C’s) means they are failing to deliver a service and are therefore in breach of their own contracts. 

Any response?

If you are being affected by this policy please let me know and I will build a class action case. It is your right if you have paid and they don’t deliver. 

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: This program is not available in this region

does your company know you are using their VPN to watch TV.

0 Kudos
brightskyapps
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yup, in fact they told me to use it, and everyone else in the business. Bringing security to us for free is a perk. 

0 Kudos
brightskyapps
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are you suggesting that what Virgin are doing is justified because I shouldn’t be watching TV on a VPN whether provided by my company or paid out of my own pocket for my own security?

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i'm saying that if its an IP from a datacenter the geolocation data may be wrong.

There is nothing illegal there. Disconnect from the VPN and it will work.

Not sure i'd want to send all my traffic over a company VPN. you know that all your traffic is passing though the remote end and can be monitored
0 Kudos
brightskyapps
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So your advice is allow Virgin to breach their own contract by reducing your security?

It is my right to employ security in my home network. Virgin do not have the right to tell me how to configure my home network and how I employ my own security policies on my network. What you are suggesting is I drop my pants for Virgin so I can watch TV.  Not good advice, nor should I have to, the fact here is I pay for a service which they are not delivering. 

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

its is VM right to block IP addresses from services.

Nothing the community can do to help you so good luck
0 Kudos
brightskyapps
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Block IPs from what service?

Explain yourself?

Do you have access to a secret list of services Virgin block or are you just making this up?  Funny because I am a CCNP and I’ve never seen this list.

When you say service do you mean ports? VPN doesn’t run on a port, that’s not how they work. 

Think someone just turned up with an opinion but wasn’t qualified to voice it.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

3rd line system engineer. pretty much qualified. But as I said community can't help you so nothing more to say
0 Kudos
brightskyapps
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm not looking for the solution, maybe if you read the post you would see I'm looking for people who are also being restricted from using a product they pay for.

3rd Level support, let me applaud you.

0 Kudos