Menu
Paulcm
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TV control app stuck on ‘out of home’

Hi - I set up TP Link m9 mesh this morning. Hub 4 in modem mode. TiVo box wired connection to m9 device. Everything working fine apart from the Virgin TV Control app which is saying that I am out of my home so it refuses to search for the Tivo.

Have tried deleting and reinstalling app (twice!).

Thanks for any help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV control app stuck on ‘out of home’

Do you have a TIVO or V6?

You can check which box you have on <<< this page >>> 

The TIVO box has it's own inbuilt internet so doesn't need an ethernet connection.

Have you rebooted the set top box to make sure it's getting the correct IP address since it's hard wired to the m9?

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
Paulcm
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dave - it’s a Tivo. I have rebooted. It’s got an IP address on the same subnet (192.168.68/24) as my iPhone (running the tv control app). Tivo is on wired segment. I’m pretty flummoxed by this tbh and at the point of cold restart of everything. It does seem as if the TV control app thinks it’s out of my home network so doesn’t want to scan…

Paul

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just for clarity... you've got your TiVo Ethernet cabled to your router I presume?

@Paulcm wrote:

Thanks Dave - it’s a Tivo. I have rebooted. It’s got an IP address on the same subnet (192.168.68/24) as my iPhone (running the tv control app). Tivo is on wired segment.

Ordinarily (and there's nothing wrong with an abnormal setup btw - just means things needs clarifying) - both the TiVo/V6 and the mobile device would have 192.168.0.xyz IP addresses. I'm not 100% clear that this is the case for you - can you confirm?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Paulcm
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi - yup. Hub 4 in modem mode. Direct cable to m9 acting as router. Wireless being broadcast from the m9 (I have two - Hub 4 is cabled to the primary). DHCP server on m9. I did wonder if the TV control expects to be on 192.168.0… address rather than the 192.168.68… address and that’s how it detects ‘home’ network. Would seem odd if it did though..!

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paulcm,

Welcome to the Community Forums, thank you for your post.

I'm sorry to hear you're having a few problems with the TV Control app. I just want to check first as you didn't mention in your post, are you getting the same error when your hub is in router mode?

Please do let us know and we can go from there.

Many thanks,

Beth

Beth
0 Kudos
Paulcm
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Beth. No - everything worked fine before I set up the Deco mesh network and hub was in router mode at that point. I’ve been using the tv control app for quite a few years.

However I have good news - it’s all working now. I did nothing at all except wait a few days. I’ve no idea why it’s working now and wasn’t before. My only guess could be that there is some sort of timeout in the app after which it assumes that the network is the home network. I’d be interested in knowing what’s going on here.

So…if anyone else encounters the same problem, wait a few days and it might clear up!

Many thanks for everyone’s responses. This is the first time I’ve used this forum.

Paul

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh that's great to hear @Paulcm

Thanks for letting us know and so glad this has been sorted for you. 

If you do have any further issues or concerns or this does begin to play up again, please do let us know and we are more than happy to help you 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos