Menu
Writerman
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TV Go old version

I had a perfectly acceptable version of TV Go running on my tablet. For various reasons, I needed to upgrade from Android version 4 to 5 and in the process I lost the TV Go app. I can't reinstall it because Play Store now says TV Go requires a more recent Android version, even though I'm running a more up to date Android version than before. There are no later Android versions available for my tablet.

This seems a ridiculous state of affairs: a more modern operating system yet I can't run an app I used to use.

Would it not be possible to make the old apk available to those customers who cannot use the new one? I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the old TV Go download, compatible with Android 5?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Go old version

Thank you for the post Writerman.

If you're running the latest Android software then the app should be working as it should, when you go to reinstall this on the play store what does this say exactly? 

Are you able to restart your handset and see if this helps the situation? 

Are you able to still log into the website on the device through an internet browser? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
Writerman
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My tablet is running Android 5.0 and there are no further updates available from the manufacturer. I cannot get as far as trying to reinstall the Virgin app because it's not it listed as compatible with my device. On consulting the app's documentation, it states that it now needs Android 5.1 or later.

I feel that if an app upgrade is going to increase the minimum SDK required to run, thereby cutting out a significant proportion of the existing customer base, then the supplier should make the old one available somewhere for those customers whose devices don't meet the minimum spec for the new.

As it happens, I managed to find older versions of both Virgin apps on a site called apkpure. I have installed these and they are working fine. At least someone is looking out for legacy device users even if Virgin aren't.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's great to hear you managed to revert back to the old application. 

If needed, you can set your handset to not download app updates automatically to avoid this happening in future if running on an older device. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
clarkey39
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Writerman

You say you got it working on android 5? I have exactly the same issue on tab 4 running 5.0.2.

Tried apkpure but keeps wanting to download the old tv anywhere app (all in one) instead of tv go and more importantly tv control app.

Don't suppose you have a link to the one you used?

Cheers

0 Kudos
clarkey39
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Managed to get tv go working 👍 however tv control is a no go apparently 😢

0 Kudos
Writerman
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The old versions were working fine on my tablet until last week. Now when I run TV Go, it tells me there is a newer version (which I knew) and that it won't take a moment to upgrade (not true; the upgrade refuses to install on my tablet because the Android version is incompatible) then obstinately refuses to continue any further. The only options are Upgrade (doesn't work) or Close App.

Not happy.

0 Kudos
clarkey39
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

which tablet have you got mate? I had Galaxy Tab 4 which would only update to 5.0.2 so had to chuck it 😤

only bloody 5 years old.......cant even custom rom it as VM App wont work apparantly.

0 Kudos