cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Go app streaming via HDMI cable to TV

casbar
Dialled in

Was away at the weekend in a hotel and wanted to watch the rugby on BT Sport via the TV Go App. Could watch fine on my iPad, but it wouldn't let me watch via a HDMI cable from the iPad to the TV in the room. Could get sound but no picture. Just tried at home with the same result. Am I trying to do something that is not allowed or is there an issue? 

7 REPLIES 7

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, you can’t do this. The app is for mobile devices and not for then casting to a TV.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, I have done a test today and I can cast from virgin go on my MacBook air, so I'll need to take that with me next time 🙂 Not sure why the mobile app can't allow you to cast, must be down to how the app has been built. As I said, the Premiership Rugby app lets you cast from a mobile device, but you can't seem to watch the game from online, so I'll need to take both the iPad and MacBook if I want the best of both worlds.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @casbar 

You could also try using TVGO on a Windows laptop and connect via HDMI cable  to the TV

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@newappollo Thanks you are correct, but I think buying a windows laptop is a bit extreme as I am a mac user and already have a very capable MacBook Air. As I said above, I can achieve what I want from using the TV Go website and connecting via HDMI from there. I just think it is a bit of a miss to not be able to stream from the TV GO app on my phone or iPad. The premiership rugby app can manage it, so it can't be that complicated, so must just be a decision by Virgin not to allow this. I'm not sure why, as if we can watch the TV on the go app and have paid for our service, why allowing us to stream to a TV wouldn't be a good idea. But it is not a deal breaker, although I am now questioning if I really need to pay for BT sport with my package, when I can just pay a cheaper subscription to the rugby app to catch all the games I want 🙂

Hey @casbar thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the streaming, but I am happy to hear that you were able to stream it from the MacBook.
Should you ever have an issue with the Virgin Media services - we're always here to asssit.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

JohnyF
Joining in

Hello, I bought and tested the Apple digital AV adapter a year ago in 2022 and used it successfully between iPad and motorhome TV at the time, for occasional use when no TV signal. I succeeded with VirginGo plus Sky and Prime.

However I tried it yesterday due to poor Ariel reception and found similar to previous user comment- sound but no pictures and a comment it’s not allowed - please could you advise if Virgin are now blocking the app from mobile/iPad ?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @JohnyF 

Info below from https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/how-to-use-virgin-tv-go-app 

Jailbroken/Rooted device and Second Screen

Virgin TV Go is not available on rooted or jailbroken devices. The use of Air Play, Miracast, HDMI or TV-Out and Chromecast is not supported.
Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali