Menu
Coral7
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Subtitles

I am deaf. I cannot get subtitles on my television to watch catch up series. I am told by ITV hub that they have to arrange this with Virgin Media and subtitles may be available this year.  I have no problem with BBCI player. I was told this is because my Samsung tv was bought the year before 2017. I understand that later tv's are fitted with something that allows the subtitles to be shown but this does not help me. I can get subtitles on the ITV app  on my phone but would much prefer watching on tv. 

Can anyone enlighten me as to why subtitles cannot be shown. It does show a lack of consideration towards people who have hearing problems.

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Subtitles

Hi @Coral7

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here. 

I am very sorry to hear you feel this way and can appreciate this is not ideal at all. 

Can I just confirm, is your TV a smart TV? As I know you mentioned that you bought it in 2017, but sometimes on the TV, if you press the menu button, scroll right, there should be an option called on screen captions, then this will allow you to add on screen captions on the ITV hub.

Thanks

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Coral7
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

• Sasha
  • I have a smart tv but it is 2016. ITV hub say they are negotiating with Virgin and Sky to allow me to have subtitles on many series of ITV hub.
  • Is this true because I have been asking why  for several years.
  • I have no problem with subtitles on TV and BBC Iplayer.
0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me, 

Yes, this is true, ITV hub need to give us the access to enable you to have subtitles. 

Once they have given us the access, we can then add them to your TV. 

But this is only for the films/ Tv show that ITV hub owns, if it is not something they own, they cannot give us access. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos