cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitle options

meanie
Joining in

Any chance of more options in the subtitles like size and background as they are huge and the black background covers a lot of the screen I would like the option to lower the size and remove the black background most of the other streaming services offer this, about time Virgin Media caught up.

4 REPLIES 4

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi meanie,

All channels with an audience share above a certain number are expected to deliver subtitles alongside their programmes, in line with Ofcom rules. 

The amount of subtitling available varies widely across channels, but many do go beyond the minimum requirements. Whenever subtitles are made available by a broadcaster, you’ll be able to see them on Virgin TV.

To clarify, these are provided by the channel and we are therefore unable to make adjustments to these or how they are displayed.

We do apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

meanie
Joining in

Thanks for the reply but I don't agree as I have a satellite box and what ever satellite I'm watching (freesat, sky, hotbird etc) I have the option of size, colour, background opacity so its in the firmware not forced by the channel.

As for Ofcom rules can you explain why none of the "GREAT!" movie channels have subtitles ?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @meanie 

Currently only 93 channels are required to provide subtitles according to Ofcom, the Great TV channels aren't amongst those deemed to be necessary, this is due in part to their smaller audience share.

A list of channels that are required to carry access services, including subtitles, is shown on page 6 on the following Ofcom document

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/240542/List-of-Channels-2023.pdf 

Full details of Ofcom's determining parameters are in the following document

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0035/179954/tv-access-services-code.pdf 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I assume you have not quite understood the complaint here, and not just given a fob off answer.   

It's not about the provision of subtitles rather the method of delivery.

Netflix, Amazon, paramount etc all provide subtitles, they however also allow them to be adjusted for size, position etc. Virgin only has something that blacks out much of the viewing area of the screen. Pretty poor really.