I don't fancy explaining this over the phone and I know no one here will be able to help so I am hoping the forum support staff will pick this up and investigate (I already have an idea why I have the problem). I won't post account details and V6 service numbers but I can have them ready for any staff that send me a PM.
A little background. 3 or so years ago I took over management of the Virgin Media account and for those that have done this you know that they effectively close your old account and create a new one with the same number but the last two digits are 02 instead of 01. So lets say my old account was 1234567801 then my new one is 1234567802 (from here on I will just refer to them as x01 or x02). All the services are then transferred and registered under the x02 account.
We have 3 V6 boxes and it took them a couple of attempts to get everything working. So initially one box was put on the x02 account but the other 2 remained on the x01 account (you could see this by checking the diagnostics section where it lists the account number). This meant that although all 3 boxes could see each other (under My Shows) and you could view and delete shows from each others only the two boxes on the x01 account could stream between them. Attempting to stream between the box on the x02 account and one on the x01 account would produce an error message stating it was not possible as the two boxes were on different accounts. This was rectified and all 3 boxes were put on the same x02 account and I can happily stream between them.
Fast forward to the present. I have had a new phone and was setting up the TV Control app when it asked if I wanted to setup the streaming devices detected on the account (I know this has been available for a while but I never got around to it on my old phone). So here is the problem. It looks like each V6 box is configured with a TV account and a (permitted) streaming account and whilst all of them have the TV account set as x02, two of the boxes must have the (permitted) streaming account still set as x01.
Attempting to setup my box (Richard's) is successful:
However, attempting to set up the Bedroom and Living Room boxes give this error:
These were the two boxes that were initially not ported over to the x02 account. I never realised this until know because you can still manage, delete and set recordings and series links etc. using the app on all 3 boxes.
I did have a thought that perhaps you can only configure one a time to be a streaming device so I removed the existing one and tried setting up the other two but they still gave the same error.
Hoping support staff can investigate and get my account configuration fixed.
Hi G4DDS, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.
Sorry to hear that you're unable to stream between all 3 of your set top boxes on your account. I am also sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing you. I would love to take a closer look on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.
Just to clarify I can stream between all 3 boxes, its streaming from the boxes to the TV Control app where the problem is.