Menu
j22lov
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sky sports App - "maximum users reached"

Why all of a sudden is my Sky Sports app saying "Maximum users reached, your account only allows for a single user from your household to watch Sky Sports at a time". My household is usually able to watch Sky Sports on multiple devices at the same time.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky sports App - "maximum users reached"

Because Sky have changed the rules.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
j22lov
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Seems like Virgin media haven’t passed on the information regarding the downgrade of TV go users who can watch channels simultaneously (Sky Sports, BT etc).Bet they won’t be reducing their prices either. As a big household, I’m at a disadvantage now and there must be thousands of other VM customers affected. I wonder if VM are getting a lot of complaints.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@j22lov wrote:

Seems like Virgin media haven’t passed on the information regarding the downgrade of TV go users who can watch channels simultaneously (Sky Sports, BT etc).Bet they won’t be reducing their prices either. As a big household, I’m at a disadvantage now and there must be thousands of other VM customers affected. I wonder if VM are getting a lot of complaints.

Sky set the prices you pay for the Premium channels & get the vast majority of the subs. This is yet another example of them favouring their own satellite customers over wholesale providers. They have been doing this for years. Is it unfair? OFCOM don’t seem to think so. It’s not a level playing field & is never likely to be if the situation continues.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I believe that Sky imposed the restriction of one user at a time for a live channel about a year ago. Sky would no doubt like people to either move to Sky or buy Now TV passes.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
FrankG2017
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

When I try to use 2 devices on Sky via my Virgin login, I get the error that says a maximum of 2 users per household has been exceeded. Whoever changed the rules to only one device didn't also change the error message. I wasn't aware of the one user limit, and based on the error, called Virgin for help. I was asked to try a couple of things to sort out getting 2 concurrent Sky sessions. The folks on the help desk were not aware that the maximum was one user, or the answer would have been "you can't do that anymore" rather than waste my time trying different options.

Virgin - please get the error message updated, and please tell your staff.

Lisa_CC
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi FrankG2017,

I'm sorry for the confusion caused with the contradicting error message relating to the device limit on Sky. It's something we're aware of but will make sure it's fully communicated again across the board and Support Team.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Its Skys app, & the limit for Skys own customers is two, so for them it IS correct. Whether Sky bother to recode the app to look at the login a customer is using is another matter, as at the moment it is just a general message.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
FrankG2017
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

None of the staff I spoke to were aware of this limit, and one put me on hold for 2 mins while he checked out my problem.

As for the message, a lot of confusion and need for calls would be eliminated if it said "Virgin customers are limited to 1 device at a time".

The sky login has the options to log in as a Sky, Virgin UK or Virgin Ireland customer, and clearly this sets a flag that identifies the type of customer, otherwise Virgin customers would get 2 devices. Using this flag to identify and vary the content of the error is an extremely simple piece of code. I accept that Sky own the code, and Virgin cannot change it, but Sky sell an awful lot of susbscriptions through the Virgin platform, and the 2 companies clearly have a business relationship.

I would expect Virgin to request this simple change of Sky. Even if they aren't concerned about customer satisfaction it's in their interest to reduce the number of calls to the help line.

Of course, stopping discriminating against Virgin customers and putting the device limit back to 2 would also work!

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

Sky would no doubt like people to either move to Sky or buy Now TV passes.

I am in the latter camp.  3 simultaneous devices with boost pass.  Actually 7 as I split the passes over three accounts for cinema, entertainment and sports (which includes Mix).  And no restrictions preventing me easily watching on a TV.

Meanwhile back at Virgin, no HD and stopping TV GO on Windows 10.    Still not all rosy at Now TV. A few dinosaurs grumbling about the demise of the original white box...

0 Kudos