Menu
petersladdie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports (NON)Player

a new season and another failure with sky sports player on my windows laptop.

would someone at VM please contact Sky Sports and ask them to make their Sky Sports Player available to download from the Windows Apps store. I tried to contact Sky Sports but as a VM customer  I get told to contact my provider. the virgin tv go app massively improved when it was made available from the windows store. with the poor performance of the sky sports player I am effectively being denied access to channels when I would like to view them and now have to make time to watch recordings.Screenshot (32).png

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports (NON)Player

Unfortunately, Virgin do not have control over which platforms Sky make their products available on, it's of their own decision whether to create it for the Microsoft Store, you'd need to request it from Sky however the app they put on the Store wouldn't differ from the one in which they release as a standalone exe.

TVGo was "improved" because it was released about 2 years ago and in that time the development team behind it have been working on it constantly, they still do work to it as per the latest build being as early as August 17th, where-as the Sky Sports App was last updated to Version 6 on the 25th January 2019 and officially released in June of that year. The TVGo app uses a more modern approach and streams from within the app where-as the Sports app by Sky uses a container which Twitch, WhatsApp, Slack and Visual Studio Code etc uses, it's a janky workaround and by the looks of it receives barely any attention, unfortunately there's no way to tell exactly whether or not they will do any fixes.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
petersladdie
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thank you for the quick reply. I knew this wouldn't be easy. I hoped that if Sky wouldn't listen to their customers they might listen to the competition! It is really frustrating that no matter what you do the people that could do something about it are unreachable unless you engage on (un)social media. I shall continue to record the football when it clashes with F1
0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi petersladdie,

It's a blooming nuisance getting it to play, but I blame Sky not VM

Have you downloaded the desktop player from the Sky Sports website?

In the navigation bar at the top click on Log In > then click on Virgin Media UK > Sign in with your My Virgin Media email address and password > Click on Watch Sky Sports  >Select a channel - then follow the onscreen prompts to download the player.

I have a short cut icon saved in my taskbar but it still makes me follow the same process., but tick I have already installed the Desktop Player button and then click continue

A box pops up asking you to confirm that you want to open the application  and eventually you should be able to watch your chosen channel.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
petersladdie
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thank you. this is just what I did. I was able to watch about 8 minutes of the WBA match before I got the error message. Sky Sports Player  hasn't improved since last year. the big problem for me is that I cannot get the message to Sky as they will not listen to me as I subscribe through VM and all Sky say is report it to your provider. so yes SKY is to blame as it is their product. But I would really appreciate a bit of support from my provider, if only they would go in to bat for me with SKY and not leave me with a service that I cannot use properly. I don't suppose VM will make changes to their TV GO App so that we can enjoy all the channels on it through their platform instead of directing us to SKY Sports or Movies players

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi petersladdie,

Sorry you're not having the best experience when using the Sky Sports player on Windows. Unfortunately it boils down to the higher ups and licencing and platforms as to whether we can have the content within our TV Go platform and hope that the Sky Sports App does get improved so you have a better experience.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
petersladdie
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thank you Lisa. please feel free to forward my concerns to said higher ups
0 Kudos