Menu
Kornukopian
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports Desktop App Issues

Good morning folks, I hope you're all well and good.

Over the last few weeks or so, I seem to be having numerous issues with the Sky Sports Desktop app, which I've normally used my Virgin Media credentials to watch via my laptop when I'm not watching sports on my TV (because I'm in a separate room).

I constantly receive the error of (where the reference changes often):

You don't have permission to access "http://skyid.sky.com/AK_PM_VPATH0/" on this server.
Reference #18.95bcfc3e.1624064830.d0a0d7

I mainly use Google Chrome to access this initially, which in turn, fires the desktop app up.

I have taken the following steps to try and resolve this issue also:
- Rebooted router
- Cleared cache and rudimentaries via respective browser (have also tried via Microsoft Edge with this as well)
- Checked respective firewalls and virus checker (I run McAfee at current)
- Tried to check Sky's help forums and "contact us via email" pages as well (which, ironically, provide the same error message as detailed above, albeit different reference)

It's proving to be somewhat frustrating to get this resolved. Would anyone be able to offer any other solutions at all?

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports Desktop App Issues

Good afternoon @Kornukopian 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with accessing the sky sports app via your desktop. 

Are you able to let me know, do you have the "sky sports" player downloaded?  If so could you try and un-install it and re-install it. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Kornukopian
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak, thanks for your response.

I have previously tried to uninstall, then reinstall, the desktop app, but I still end up with the same error stating that I don't have permission to access.

When firing up the desktop app, it asks me to head over to the SS website to get started... from there, it takes me to their home page, where I click on "TV", followed by the channel of choice, to which from there, it asks me to log in.

Previously, the site allowed me to connect to a page which has a SkyID login, but also gives you the opportunity to log in for VM UK and VM IE users, which has been fine. But, with the aforementioned "you don't have permission" message, it doesn't even give me the chance to get to this screen, and hasn't done so over the last few weeks now.

When looking at other forums that may have this same issue, they have remarked on the possibility that Sky may have the IP for access blocked for some reason. But, if I'm not mistaken, even though my main account is with VM (and has been for nigh on 10 years now), I *technically* am a Sky subscriber in sense with Cinema and Sports on my billing, so surely something should be looked at in that respect - or would I be somewhat mistaken in this aspect?

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you gtried a different browser, or cleared the cache and cookies on the one you are using so the page reloads as new.

If your info is still stored in cache the computer is lazy and reloads what's stored in memory including the errors instead of loading a new/fresh page

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Kornukopian
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi newapollo;

I've tried both Chrome and Edge, clearing cookies, cache etc on both as well as restarting both as soon as it's been cleared.

I'm still somewhat stumped, in honesty. 

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us Kornukopian.

Can we ask if you have tried accessing the Sky Sports desktop app through Firefox web browser at all?

I have asked a colleague who is good with these things being a huge sports fan and he advised this may work. Are you able to try this browser for me and see if this makes any difference at all.

Kind regards Jodi. 

0 Kudos
Kornukopian
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi;

Even Firefox draws a black mark, as does Opera, I'm afraid. Both tried with fresh installs, and no luck whatsoever. 😞

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh no Kornukopian,

We are at a loss as why the Sky Sports desktop App is not working with any browser too. Due to this I will take this away and see if there are any alternatives or other options for you to see if we can get this resolved for you.

It may be a few days before I post back to see if there are any alternative options for you.

I do appreciate your patience with this.

Kind regards Jodi. 

0 Kudos