Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 31 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky ID error 288

Appreciate your reply charscot

I would still able to chase this up for you 

Better to have a service that works, which is why we want to fix it. 

Speak soon 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 32 of 52
Flag for a moderator

@charscot  If it was first line phone support who promised a callback, this is a favourite tactic of theirs 😞

Whilst the new Forum Team is still finding it's footing here, they do actually show a lot of promise and they don't fob people off, one of the things the team at Swansea did was to take ownership of a problem and only where necessary delegate a job to another team member to follow up (for example if they went on holiday).

@Kev_B The new Forum Team lead (who transferred accross from Swansea incidentally) still wants this to be the case with the new Forum Team, so when they say they'll pass it on they will - more importantly they will also chase the outcome at the appropriate time, (if not I'll be reminding them anyway).  Kev has deliberately sicced Gareth on this case with an aim to resolving this properly for you.

I do appreciate that you feel you've been given the runaround here, but as I stated previously I do strongly believe that the Forum Team can get this done for you.

TL : DR version

Gareth's not trying to fob you off here, he genuinely want to help and more importantly understands EXACTLY what needs to be done.

Tim

P.S.  Please also understand that while we Superusers AREN'T Virgin Media employees, we DO have back channels where we talk directly with the Forum Team ourselves in order to try and help resolve matters like these. (That's why we have the VM logo in our signatures).  I normally hang around the email boards as that's my speciality and I have worked with Forum Team members closely in the past to resolve difficult issues that have stumped phone support.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

charscot
On our wavelength
Message 33 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Sadly the bit in bold is 100% wrong. Unfortunately Gareth has managed to confuse an issue with my landline (which went down last Tuesday and which I have to wait until April 12th for anyone to turn up to fix it) with this issue, somehow erroneously thinking that fixing my landline (which went down 8 days after this issue started) will magically fix an error caused by my ip address being blocked by sky..

Bizarre.

I appreciate he did at least check to see the original ticket. However, he reported back that the original ticket lacked sufficient information. Now aside from the fact that that ticket was generated by another agent after a 75 minute chat (how useless is that agent if they can't describe a problem after a 75 minute chat ?!!) it begs a simple question. If, when that ticket was looked at by the relevant department they felt it lacked the right info to resolve why did they not then contact me to either get the right info (seems obvious) or (worst case scenario) to tell me the ticket was closed due to a lack of info ??

The fact that neither was done by the department that looked at the ticket makes it abundantly clear that VM are simply fobbing me off.

Unsurprisingly at this point I have zero faith in VM helping at all with this issue as when it comes to their virgin tv anywhere service no one seems to have a clue how to resolve any issues with the service, even when it has been repeatedly spelled out to them what the issue is.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 34 of 52
Flag for a moderator

I'm actually pretty cheesed off.

I've worked with Kev_B on the Forums for quite some time when he was on the front line as it were at Swansea.  So I've normally got a great deal of faith in him to do what he sets out to do.

@Kev_B @Gareth_L - Needless to say I'm more than a little concerned here:

Unsurprisingly at this point I have zero faith in VM helping at all with this issue as when it comes to their virgin tv anywhere service no one seems to have a clue how to resolve any issues with the service, even when it has been repeatedly spelled out to them what the issue is.

Given what's transpired up to this point that charscot has written the above is entirely understandable.

So here's MY challenge to you and the Forum Team,

How about turning charscot's expectations round.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 35 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hi @charscot @ravenstar68 

It goes without saying that this should've all been handled much better. I will take the feedback on board and make sure we're not failing others in the same way in future. I understand that's of little consolation to you right now.

I've spoken with Gareth about this issue at great length, having spent some time finding out exactly what information is required to be sent where in order to get this sorted. The advice we have (and that Gareth has been using to steer him in trying to help) has come from one of our incident management teams who deal with similar queries on a regular basis. Gareth is ready and waiting to get it raised and he knows what information is needed - along with the importance of getting this right for you.

All I can ask is you give us the chance to turn this around and get it sorted - I'm confident we can do that once Gareth is able to raise the ticket.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

charscot
On our wavelength
Message 36 of 52
Flag for a moderator

The whole thing has been deeply frustrating. As mentioned before when it comes to issues with broadband etc the VM are usually excellent, both on here, on Twitter and at the call centre (centres ?).

Sadly their Achilles heel is anything related to the Virgin Tv Anywhere service. It is not an exaggeration to say that any issue with this service seems to be met with a crushing lack of help. I honestly do not believe anyone at VM has the first idea how to fix VTA issues.

It is made more frustrating when the people who are meant to help think things like fixing a landline or fixing the cable to a second tivo box is going to solve a blocked ip address issue (which is just ridiculous as they have nothing to do with each other and neither "fix" is going to change the ip addrress).

Add the complete failure by the department that looked at the ticket to act, even if only to contact myself to say they need more info or there isn't enough info to act. To just ignore the ticket (which their behaviour amounts to) is disgraceful but not surprising as I did say on this forum that they wouldn't get back to me as they never do and was assured that they would... yeah right.

It is frustrating simply because the ip address issue as per the sky id error been confirmed 2 weeks ago as when the ip address was changed temporarily full access to sky sports etc on tv anywhere was not an issue.

Bearing that in mind it means there are only 2 fixes, VM contact Sky and get the ip address unblocked or VM allocate a new IP address to my superhub. This is obvious. These two options are also the ones everyone keeps saying at VM they can't do so how exactly do they think they can fix the issue ??

The answer of course being that they can't if they cannot or won't do either of the above. So in the meantime all the talk of tickets, forum help etc is sadly meaningless as the two fixes seem beyond them and anything else is simply messing with things that are not going to resolve anything.

Not a surprise I have no faith at all in VM resolving this now really.

0 Kudos
charscot
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Kev - Gareth messaged myself to say he has already raised another ticket so "once he is able to raise a ticket" is worrying as either he hasn't done what he said he has done or there is more misinformation going on between yourselves.

The reality is I don't see what use a new ticket is going to have as the two options to fix are seemingly beyond anyone at VM. Add that Gareth's comments in our chat made it quite clear he hasn't a clue as to the actual issue and what to do to resolve it if he thinks fixing a cable to a secondary tivo or looking at a landline fault (that appeared 8 days after this issue) are somehow magically going to change my ip address.

Again, all this talk of tickets etc means little if no one at VM can grasp what needs to be done to fix this. And considering the department the ticket is raised to couldn't even be bothered to contact myself even if only to say insufficient info to action on says a lot for how good a service will be received in relation to any ticket raised.

As mentioned 2 weeks ago, I have never heard back on any ticket raised in relation to the tv anywhere service. I seriously doubt I ever will.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 38 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Charscot

The Forum Team role can be summed up thus:

Gather information about problem:

1. If problem can be fixed by user, provide appropriate advice.
  2. If not escalate issue to the relevant department along with relevant diagnostic information.
  3. Follow up on outstanding tickets raised by themselves.

The Forum Team has always worked this way, although many of the old staff did have second line experience, which stood them in good stead as well. :(, but a good deal of the work they did involved raising support tickets to the relevant departments so that issues could be resolved.  That aspect has not really changed.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 39 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hello charscot

Just a quick message to say we are still waiting on an update 

Sorry for the delay 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
charscot
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 52
Flag for a moderator

The delay isn't altogether surprising as apparently on the form submitted from this site the issue was recorded as an issue with an Apple Mac, heaven only knows why.

Quick update from my end.

So 16 days ago I had a phonecall from the team investigating the issue who had the wrong info on the issue so I had to explain it all to them again. Upon completing that they said that they could indeed resolve this with Sky as indeed it was an ip issue and the ip needed unblocking. In other words, they accepted the reality and even said it was possible to resolve, a refreshing change from the multiple people who have said they couldn't do anything and that it would "hopefully go away in time" (I quote that part simply because I have heard it multiple times).

They said it takes around 15 days (I assume work days or they would have phoned by now).

Meanwhile to show the lack of organisation - The engineer came to fix the landline. On inspection it turned out the engineer who came to fix the second tivo box had incorrectly filled out the order request so instead of arranging for someone to come and lay a new line to the room with the second tivo he had instructed for a new landline to be laid. When the third party company came they simply laid a new landline outside the house and disconnected the existing one, leaving without so much as knocking on the door, hence no landline for nearly 3 weeks !

The engineer who fixed the landline arranged in person for a new appointment for laying the cable to the tivo (as in the meantime the wife had rung up to get an appointment for this, had been told the 12th but when the engineer rang there was no appointment booked on this date).

The cable was done properly last Friday and the tivo works, as does the landline. Although yesterday I got a text from VM confirming the appointment for this Friday to have an installation done so it seems the 12th was booked too, go figure.

So we lost the landline because an engineer couldn't fill out the form correctly and the company hired by VM to do the cable laying for the landline didn't bother to contact us or connect the line whilst simultaneously deliberately disconnecting the old landline !

Thankfully the last engineer and the two who laid the working tivo cable were exceptionally good.

Meanwhile of course, fixing the landline and the tivo made zero difference to the ip issue (as it was never going to as they couldn't possibly resolve that issue !) and as things stand still can't watch sky on the computer.

Hopefully a call should come within the next week with this resolved but based on the atrocious record keeping by VM in recent weeks I have encountered I am not getting my hopes up yet obviously.