Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 21 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky ID error 288

I do respect your decision. Apologies for the hassle we've caused you. Thank you. ^Ellen_C

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 22 of 52
Flag for a moderator

@charscot How do you normally log in to view Sky Sports?

Is it via a Virgin Page which then redirects you?

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 23 of 52
Flag for a moderator

@Ellen_C @Tom_F Whilst this is no reflection on the way you've been handling the thread I would like to pass comment.  I'd also like to include @Kev_B  here as I think Virgin Media do need to look at their policy here.

First off I totally understand Ellen and Tom's position here, certainly from my point of view I have a Sky ID meaning I log into Sky directly, so if I personally were getting a 288 error.  I would be contacting Sky directly.

However in this situation @charscot DOES NOT have a Sky ID.  Rather if I'm reading the thread right, I believe he logs into Sky Sports in his browser through a Virgin Media branded page that redirects to Sky Sports once they've logged in to Virgin Media's Single Sign On (SSO) system.

In this situation you are in fact acting as a Sky reseller and the customers contract is with you, NOT with Sky.  The customer pays you and you facilitate the access to Sky Sports etc.

In this situation I firmly believe it's far more appropriate that Virgin Media liaise with Sky on behalf of the customer ESPECIALLY as Sky are blocking their Virgin Media  broadband IP.

I would therefore ask that your response here be reconsidered.

Note:  I'm not a lawyer so what I am writing should not be taken as gospel.  However it is an opinion based on an understanding of the different means of being allowed access to Sky Sports etc.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

charscot
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tim, I am glad my replies have at least been clear enough that someone has understood what I have been saying. It doesn't solve my problem but it is a relief to feel like I am not going slowly mad being asked the same questions again and again. 🙂

At this point it is fairly clear that the only solution is do nothing and hope for the best that the error fixes itself as it does appear to be a temporary fault for many.

Whilst I appreciate that a number of the VM team are asking questions regarding this it clearly is going nowhere with the same info being asked different ways and nothing new in terms of what can be done.

Thanks to those who tried and a bigger thanks to Tim for making it clear that my posts weren't completely unintelligible !

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 25 of 52
Flag for a moderator

@charscot 

I'm not a Virgin employee myself, Superusers are users who have been accorded a special status by virtue of the help that we've given in the past.

Personally while I understand how you feel on this situation, I don't believe that "nothing can be done

Certainly in other circumstances I too would be sending you off to Sky so that they can lift the block.  The reason I'm asking Virgin Media to look again in cases like yours though is simple.

They are providing you access to the Sky websites via your Virgin Media sign on, based on your viewing package.

BUT

By blocking your IP and refusing to deal with you Sky have actually created a position where it's impossible for Virgin Media to fulfil their side of your contract with them.  Therefore I firmly believe that Virgin Media are obligated to resolve this or hold their hands up and say, "We can't honour your contract!"

If the latter then you would possibly be entitled to leave Virgin Media without any financial penalty.

However I would like to try something, as I was reading the Sky Forum on this subject and a few users have stated that using Chrome's Incognito mode gained them access.  Would you be willing to give it a try and let us know what happens?

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Websites/Sky-iD-Error-288/m-p/2936026/highlight/true#M3209

@Ellen_C @Tom_F Just to make it clear, the part about switching off the router itself to try and get a new IP address won't work.  Virgin Media IP addresses are very sticky due to the long DHCP lease life that they have, indeed I've had one for over a year and it's only changed when I've been involved in trials for the newer hub models.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
charscot
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 52
Flag for a moderator

I spotted that thread last week (I prefer to solve these things myself rather than even go the support help if possible as what is the point of the net if you can't find solutions from previous issues others have had) and tried the incognito mode on chrome. Sadly it made no difference, the error still appeared as the incognito mode on chrome didn't actually hide my IP address.

I actually checked my ip address whilst in the incognito window and it told me my correct address, much to my frustration as I had wrongly assumed until then that part of the incognito mode was masking the IP address, whereas it seems the reality is that all browsing history is removed rather than location etc being blocked.

0 Kudos
charscot
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Re the financial penalty for leaving VM, there won't be one as I have been with them for decades now and the last change to my contract initiating a new contract was December 2017 so I can leave tomorrow (although I will wait another 5 days).

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 28 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hello charscot

Sorry you have had to contact us about your Sky Player error 

What I would like to do is get this fixed for you

I will need to pass Security first by means of a Private Message 

Just check your purple envelope top right of your screen 

Once we have passed security 

I will then be able to report this ID 288 to our IT Team 

This can take around 5 days to resolve 

Hope to hear from you soon 

Gareth_L

charscot
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 52
Flag for a moderator

This issue was passed to your IT team on Monday 11th March and I was advised it would take up to 5 working days to resolve.

I said to the agent I doubted anyone would ever get back to me as I have never had a reply at a later date when anything has been passed on to another department. They assured me someone would be in touch.

Here we are, the 5 working days have been and gone, no one has been in touch and the issue is not resolved.

In other words thanks, but I have no intention of putting the same thing through to the same team who haven't bothered to contact me or resolve the issue as claimed. Repeating the same thing and expecting a different result...well there is a famous (actual mis)quote about that..

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 30 of 52
Flag for a moderator

@charscot 

I've been discussing this thread with the Forum Team lead, which is why Gareth is now involved in this.  When you contacted VM on the 11th - were you given a ticket number?

Either way in order to proceed Gareth is going to need to access your account anyway, he'll be able to check the outstanding ticket once he has the correct details and either follow it up or raise a new one.

I do know that Gareth has been fully briefed on the correct process to follow here, so I would be grateful if you could reply to his PM with the info requested.

Both I and the Forum Team want to see this matter resolved properly for you.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos