Menu
Highlighted
charscot
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Sky ID error 288

Hi. Since last Sunday I have been unable to log into Sky Sports on my browser as as soon as I click on log in I get a Sky iD error 288 message appear.

Have checked and this apparently is an issue with my IP address, which Sky has seemingly suddenly decided is unacceptable despite it being perfectly fine just days earlier.

I have done all the usual stuff (reboots, different browsers, clear cache, even reset the Superhub 3 to factory settings, which caused other issues, just because this was what I was advised to do much against my personal wishes as I knew this would do nothing to change my IP address).

I can see a few other posts about this issue over the months but all seem to have no solution.

The only solution I can think of is to use a VPN to mask my IP address. The issues with doing this are that VPN's do not give completely free use all the time whilst also allowing a specific preferred country for the IP (has to be the UK or else the sky sports app won't work anyway) and I can neither afford to pay for a full use VPN or frankly see why I should when I pay so much to VM already. Not to mention the use of a VPN means a slower connection.

Anyway, if anyone can help resolve this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
charscot
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky ID error 288

Anyone able to help ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hi charscot, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear that you've been unable to access Sky Sports via your browser since last Sunday.

As I understand it, this isn't something Virgin Media would be able to help with I'm afraid - as Sky have blocked your IP address on their platform it would need to be them who take the appropriate action to unblock it.

If you raise this with their technical team they should be able to help further. Please keep us posted with how you get on.

Tom_F 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
charscot
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Tom but Sky have already said they won't help as I am not a Sky customer and the responsibility is on Virgin Media to deal with Sky and make it clear that the IP address is valid.

This issue can only be resolved by someone working for Virgin Media, and it is very frustrating that VM seem determined to pass the buck rather than help, particularly considering the small fortune I am paying out for the services, most of which don't seem to be working properly of late (still have an ongoing broadband issue in our area that hasn't been resolved in over a month but that is another issue altogether...).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Sorry you see it that way charscot -  We're not able to unblock something we didn't block in the first place. The block is on their platform which we have no access to amend.

What Sky have advised is incorrect, I appreciate this will be frustrating however there is no action we can take to resolve this for you - if there was we'd have already done it. 

Tom_F

0 Kudos
Highlighted
charscot
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 52
Flag for a moderator

But Sky won't deal with myself as I have no Sky account and they have requested that Virgin Media contact them as you are the ones who they deal with, not a random customer of a different company from theirs. This is simply passing the buck rather than resolving the issue. I pay to be able to use tv anywhere, you are failing to provide the service because you won't contact Sky or allocate a new IP address to myself.

Expecting the customer to be listened to by a third party company is unrealistic and literally making the least effort possible to help.

The customer service at Virgin Media has gone badly downhill as apparently it now means the customer has to serve themselves because VM won't.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 52
Flag for a moderator

I understand we've already fed this back charscot - however that is all we're able to do regarding this matter. I can only apologise if you don't feel that's good enough, and if you wish I'll be happy to log your concerns in a more formal manner (as per: virg.in/compscop). I must set your expectation however that the only resolution I'd be able to provide is my assurance this will be fed back - there is no further action we can take regarding this matter, so with that being said I would also recommend you also log your concerns formally with Sky as well. 

Tom_F 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
charscot
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Sky won't let me log anything with them, simply because I am not a sky customer so why should they care what I say !??

You are meant to care and help, but apparently £2k a year for this "service" doesn't get any actual help at all. Clearly time to take my money somewhere where they actually care and/or provide a reliable service...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 52
Flag for a moderator

If Sky are telling you that you're not able to log a complaint because you're not a customer then I'm quite sure they'd be breaching some kind of regulatory requirements. 

If you need any guidance around logging this with them you can find their complaints code of practice here.

Sorry you feel I'm not being helpful regarding this - I've not refused to log your concerns though charscot.

Tom_F

0 Kudos
Highlighted
charscot
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Logged concerns are meaningless, solve nothing.

Solving anything would be a start but you have claimed to be unable to do that...yet there is another post on this forum and that person claims it was fixed by yourselves so either they are lying or you are refusing to help/don't know how to. Which is correct I don't know, sadly the end result is the same, zero help.

0 Kudos