Menu
Rossmartin
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sky Go App

I am a Sky TV customer and I have a Virgin Business Broadband connection. Since the Virgin business internet connection was installed i am unable to use the Sky Go App on any Apple device as i get an unknown error or a number of different errors.

Fortunately i still have a BT Broadband connection as a fail-over and when i configure my dual WAN router to go out of that line the Sky Go Application works with no issues. When i tether my iPad to my iPhone over the cellular or use my iPhone itself on a 4G connection the Sky Go Application works with no issues, so it is 100% an issue when using a Virgin Broadband connection.

Any advice would be welcome as i wouldn't expect one service to affect the other.

Many Thanks in advance

Ross

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Go App

Hi Rossmartin

Thanks for the post. Have you contacted Sky in regards to this? Does uninstalling and reinstalling the app work? 

Kind regards 

Chris 

0 Kudos
Rossmartin
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

I have, re-authorising the Sky Box for Sky Go fixed the issue for now, however it only fixes it for a small period of time before it happens again.

Uninstalling and re-installing the app does nothing, not does factory resetting the devices.

Interestingly, if you trace the data packets, on a non working device the data doesn't go to BSKYB.com servers at all, the data goes a completely different route, including going to Facebook servers.On a working device the data's first hop is a BSKYB.com server.

So i have just checked again and it isn't working. So i have re-authorised the Sky Go app the Sky box and it is working again. I had to reboot my Virgin Hiltron box as i was down due to the big issue last night. It seems that if i reboot the Virgin Hiltron router I have to re-authorise the Sky Go app. I use my Virgin Hiltron in Modem only mode. I will do some more tersting but if that is the case it would certainly point to a Virgin issue as i didn't have the issue before with my BT connection and i am using the same routers, switches and access points.

0 Kudos
Rossmartin
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris

So, same issue again, It seems that i cannot watch Sky Go anymore. Speaking to some others on Twitter with the same issue they have done their own investigation and can see reset packets coming from the remote side of their Hiltron routers. They are so convinced that they have requested 2nd and 3rd line engineers so they can prove it. They have also escalated to Ofcom!

Could a Virgin representative please contact me regarding this as it would appear that Virgin are blocking a competitors service over their internet connections. The issue is only present when using Virgin broadband. I'm not suggesting this is deliberate, however it isn't coincidental either!

Thanks

Ross

0 Kudos
Michael_JK
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ross, 

I'm afraid we don't offer support for business connections here. You can find Virgin Media Business' contact details here

I'm confident they'll be able to help. 

Thanks 

Michael_JK
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Rossmartin
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Michael,

I'll contact them however my confidence based upon what i am hearing is vastly different to yours!

0 Kudos
richard0927
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rossmartin

I have the same problem as you and thought I would add my observations.

As well as Sky Go we also use NOW TV.  Everything was fine when we used Virgin Home Media broadband.  We decided to switch to Virgin Business and as soon as we did we started to have problems with the Sky Go app and NOW TV app on our iPads and iPhones.  Oddly, we have no problem with NOW TV on Apple TV or on a PC.  

The main problem we have is that the app thinks we are outside the UK or can't establish where we are.  Sometimes (very occasionally) I can connect if I use a VPN.

Personally, I think the issue is with Sky rather than Virgin but I don't know for sure.

It is very frustrating. 

If you ever find a solution please let me know.

0 Kudos
Rossmartin
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Can you confirm if you have a static IP address or are you using a dynamic IP address. I suspect you have a static IP address.

Thanks

Ross

0 Kudos
Steiner2
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok in response to this thread I too have the same issues whilst using Virginmedia Business broadband, via a Hitron Router in modem mode. I have spent lot's of time with a fantastic support chap called Lav who has escalated through every department he can, his manager has also tried to resolve this and they have hit a wall from the network chaps internally that basically tells them it's a virgin problem. 

Well I am now 100% certain it is a Skygo IOS app issue. They appear to be blocking the static Virginbusiness IP addresses in the app but interestingly not in the desktop app for either PC or MAC - they obviously use different IP blacklists for content protection etc. I can say this because I had an old android travel phone lying around which I loaded with the Skygo for android app onto - no sim in the phone so only connection was via my wifi and Virginbusiness static IP, and it all works !!

At last concrete proof it is a Sky ios app issue and not the virginbusiness broadband where the problem lies. Prior to this I had tried different wifi at home over a powerline adaptor in case it was the ubiquiti wifi that was causing the block, I also connected my ipad via ethernet and all failed to work so no joy. The Ipad over an ethernet connection was particularly telling as it again points to an IOS  Skygo App issue and not wifi etc that is causing the issue.

The Sky IOS app does work over virginmedia domestic dynamic IP's so not an issue with the phone or Ipad.

So Sky - what are you going to do to fix this .......................

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

As you are on a Virginmedia residential forum the best people to ask for help on your VM Business account would be the business team https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-in-touch/contact-us/? the residential team can only give advice as they do not have access to the same tools.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos