Menu
Hksaidha
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: HD channels in Virgin TV Go?

I have the same issue. Channels say they are HD but when streaming via the app on a "HD TV" they are NOT in HD
0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post Hksaidha, and a very warm welcome to you!

Does this happen only on your Wi-Fi connection or does this happen on data and other Wi-Fi connections you may use.

It may also be worth taking the devices you're using into consideration also, does this perhaps also happen on multiple devices?

Ultimately the quality of the streams will partially depend on what we're issued from the broadcasters of the content, in terms of the actual content available and the quality this is streamed in

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

… and I didn’t think that streaming the app to a TV was allowed/supported?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's a good point @Ernie_C and something I didn't pick up on when originally reading and responding to the post.

We would advise that we don't support customers using the TV Go application to stream via a television. 

Please review our Terms and Conditions

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Hksaidha
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've tested this by running the app on my laptop and monitor and this is also the same result. Using another laptop to HD TV, also wired, is also not HD quality streaming. Viewing on a tablet device (wifi) is clearer, but the resolution is much smaller, so this is expected. I have tried this on a number of HD channels (ITV hd, EurosportHD, BTSportHD, 4HD, etc) with the same result.

Checked the Internet speed from my laptops (wired through Homeplugs) and it is much faster than what is required to stream HD.

internet speed - wired.jpg

When I use another streaming service such as Disney+, Netflix or iplayer (BBC1\ 2 HD) the stream is in HD on the same devices. 

Is there a setting that I'm not switching on for Virgin TV Go? I don't think it is the channels or my internet speed at fault.

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Hksaidha

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

So just to check, if you use the laptop with no monitor - are the channels HD? 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Hksaidha
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, just checked and the picture looks closer to HD on the laptop. Does the app not support external monitors?

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

With streaming to other televisions / monitors, we do not support this unfortunately as per @David_Bn previous post. 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Hksaidha wrote:

Yes, just checked and the picture looks closer to HD on the laptop. Does the app not support external monitors?

You have already been told above. VM does not support streaming to a TV or other large screen device. This is not what TV GO is intended for, as it would allow you to avoid paying for an additional HD TV box. TV GO is only designed for use on mobile/tablet devices.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos