Menu
arlowood
Up to speed
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Potential Solution for the Device Registration Issue on PC/Laptops (Windows 10)

Hi Folks 

Been wrestling with this problem since VM in their wisdom withdrew the dedicated Windows 10 app that I had been using happily for at least 18 months. I moved to the App back then when this device registration issue was alive and kicking without any real sign of a fix being found.

OK - when I was directed to using the browser version of the app I tried it out using Chrome which is my default browser. Immediately ran into issues with the browser app not recognising my PC. I quickly built up to the maximum devices and was locked out for 30 days. Eventually I had help from a kind VM Moderator who reset my devices and I started the process of investigation.

I tried all avenues with Chrome and eventually moved on to Microsoft Edge but came to the conclusion that neither browser was going to allow me to watch live TV consistently without running up a maximum no of devices (all My Computer - Google Chrome) plus my Samsung tablet running on the Android app ( which has been faultless BTW).

On the suggestion of the moderator I tried Internet Explorer. Now I thought IE had died a death after the launch of Edge but it is still there within Windows 10 but they don't advertise it. You just need to type in Internet Explorer into the search box at the bottom left of the taskbar and you will get the IE app to click on. If you launch IE - just type virgin tvgo into the search box and you will get the Home page of the tvgo software in your search. Just click on the "Home" heading and it will launch the TVGo app. In contrast to Chrome and Edge it does not prompt you to download and install the app (don't know if this is significant).

You can then sign in in the normal way and register your device if you have free slots available. (if your devices are maxed out - try to get a moderator to reset them for you.)

I have been using TvGo in this way for a couple of days now and have not experienced any problems. Don't know if it's a permanent fix but at least it is proving more reliable than any other browser I've tried.

There is one caveat. IE will only be supported by Microsoft until 2021 - after that there will be no security or other updates. I only hope VM sort out the Chrome and Edge issues before that.

Good luck

greenrivet
Dialled in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Potential Solution for the Device Registration Issue on PC/Laptops (Windows 10)

Hi, well done, if the interim fix to allow us to carry on until permanent fix,  works ok, thankyou.

I tried on ie and it asked for registration, then I will try next time I watch tv, don' t want to waste lives

Hope IT dept read your msg.

cheers

0 Kudos
greenrivet
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Potential Solution for the Device Registration Issue on PC/Laptops (Windows 10)

yes, tried it on ie twice and only registerd 1 life- well done--easy interim fix

0 Kudos
arlowood
Up to speed
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Great to hear you've got it to work OK.

Doesn't look if many others have taken up the idea based on the continuing number of posts with people struggling with duplicate devices.

I'll get back to the Moderator who helped me out with account resets (multiple) and also was the one who suggested trying IE in the first place.

Maybe she can get a stickie generated as a means of helping others who might be struggling

0 Kudos
arlowood
Up to speed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Fix for device registration issues - please read all those on Win10

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Give it a few days and you will be forced into a device change on Internet Explorer. Just like Edge, Google Chrome and even IOS.  The only thing that worked was the window 10 app that was stopped earlier this month.

Only other solution is when you hit maximum devices, make a post on this forum and cross your fingers and hope the VM staff see it and are kind and generous enough to do a device clear out.  For which I am very grateful for them doing this month after been forced into 3 changes thanks to iPad not being recognised and Windows 10 app closure.

0 Kudos
arlowood
Up to speed
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi arrgee1991

I note your scepticism, but I am now 7 days into my switch to using Internet Explorer and have not experienced any problems with loss of device registration or duplicate devices showing up for the same PC. Not sure why IE is working for me compared to Chrome and Edge where I had repeated "maximum devices reached" episodes after the cancellation of the Win10 App.

I have deliberately avoided downloading and installing the new browser app. I just do a search for Virgin tvgo in IE and click on the "Home" TvGo website link that appears in the search results. Not sure if that approach differs from what you did with IE. I plan to update this thread on a regular basis to keep it on the first page so that hopefully others can benefit. I have asked one of the moderators if my workaround could be included in a "stickie" at the top of the page. To date that has not happened but it may appear in the near future

Just as an aside - nobody from VM has yet provided a reason or explanation as to why the Win10 App was scrubbed. Possibly due to the App needing re-engineering to cope with some new Win10 updates and VM deciding in their wisdom that they didn't want to spend time and effort on that

0 Kudos
greenrivet
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have been using ie 5 days now on my pc and only 1 device registered........

My Computer - Internet Explorer(Current device)

VM mods should advise everyone of interim fix.
0 Kudos
arlowood
Up to speed
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi greenrivet

Great to hear it's still working for you. 

Not sure why it has not yet appeared as a suggestion from the VM mods. I have asked the moderator who kindly helped me with several account re-boots when I was struggling with Chrome and Edge. She has agreed and is looking into it.

I did note in an earlier thread that someone suggested a fix was to do a factory reset on Chrome (there is an option to do in the advanced settings to return Chrome to original default settings). Afraid I wasn't brave enough to do that in case I lost some important bookmarks or web sign in permissions.,

0 Kudos
arlowood
Up to speed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Bump for those with Chrome and Edge problems on PCs/laptops

0 Kudos