Menu
JCAC59
Tuning in
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

New TV Control IOS App Remote Control Accessibility

I updated my TV Control IOS App today to v4.5.1. I use this app almost exclusively to control my TiVo boxes. The remote control function has been great, until now. I have some vision issues so the new remote which seems to have white writing on a white background makes using the remote much more difficult. It also seems that one or more of the buttons are missing including the Stop button.

is there something I’m missing on the new app or has the remote really been redesigned to have white text/controls on a white background? A huge step backwards, if this is the case. I have been through settings but cannot see any way to amend this.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: New TV Control IOS App Remote Control Accessibility

Hi JCAC59,

Welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed with our new TV Control update and that it's causing you trouble.

We appreciate your feedback and I will forward this on to the relevant team so they can look into the issues you've highlighted above.

Thanks a lot,

Beth

0 Kudos
Essgee
Tuning in
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I too have been a regular user of this app on an iPad and always found the TV Guide and My Shows very convenient and easy to use. The new app is terrible the font is too small and thin and poor colour selection make it difficult to read. The top 1/3 of the screen is wasted with an oversize picture, the default selection is watch and record, this seems unintuitive because in general you want one or the other. To get to just watching the program from the guide takes a couple mor clicks. I struggle to see how anyone in the app design team could think this was an improvement. Hopefully if 5heres enough negativity the designers will put some effort in to making it better or just give us the option to revert to the previous version.

JCAC59
Tuning in
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I completely agree with your comments. My main issue is the colour scheme for the remote control portion but agree the rest is less easy to use.

Being in IT myself I don’t quite understand how this update got rolled out. Especially given it seems to be several steps back in terms of being user friendly.

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi JCAC59, Essgee,

We really appreciate your feedback on the new update and I apologise that you're both dissatisfied with the new update.

I will ensure that this gets fed back and I will update this thread with any possible changes made or updates I may have regarding this.

All the best,

Beth

brantome
Up to speed
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

9Re: New TV Control IOS App Remote Control Accessibility

Must agree with both of the above comments - new UI is a step backwards. Why use a small font and double line spacing in the My Shows screen? The ‘Manage’ screen is a little tighter but even there the font size could be increased. Fortunately I don’t need to use the remote screen, but that must be one of the poorest, low contrast screens I’ve seen in a long time...

robgiffin
Joining in
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: 9Re: New TV Control IOS App Remote Control Accessibility

I have to add to the conversation as I can’t believe how bad the tv remote control is with the latest update.

I’ve tried using it regularly over the last few weeks, but I’m finding it unusable due to the contrast issues, white text, light grey buttons on a light background, why?

The previous app worked really well and has been something we’ve used for years.

Please take the time to get a UX designer involved when making such a significant change to the app.  

There has been great improvements to other parts of the app, but looks like this was a after thought missing from the original design brief.

I hope to see a return to a sensible colour pallet and improved design with the next release.

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robgiffin,

Thanks for posting in our community forum. We really appreciate the feedback you have given regarding the TV Remote Control App.

We will pass this information on to the relevant team who re-vamp our Apps 

Kind regards Jodi.

JCAC59
Tuning in
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

‘it has been almost 4 months since I started this post. I have heard nothing back, other than the info has been passed on. I have also seen no change to the app that would make the remote and app in general more usable.

i honestly still cannot believe that Virgin made a change to their app that moved it back several steps with regards accessibility and it seems it is not considered an important thing to fix.

As someone with visual challenges I find this very disappointing.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi JCAC59,

Thank you for coming back to us.

We do apologise that no changes have been made currently off the back of your feedback. I assure you that your feedback is important to us and we highly appreciate you raising this to us.

I have chased this up with our TV Product Manager who is speaking with our Designer regarding this. He wanted to know whether you had an accessibility feature set on your handset that could be causing issues with the colour scheme on the app? He assured me that our design team would never intentionally do this and make the app less accessible to our customers.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos