Menu
JetPack
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Maximum of devices reached

I have had no problems with the TV Go app until this weekend.

Updated it on my Windows 10 PC; the app then said I already had maximum number of devices registered but I could replace one - I did this three times because the app said I already had maximum number of devices registered and then said I couldn't replace for another week!!!!

My account now lists My Computer + web browser three times, my mobile phone and the actual name of my PC - AND NONE OF THEM WORK! 

I have since researched this problem online and it crops up again and again.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Maximum of devices reached

Hi there @JetPack

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first ever post to our forums; we are sorry that you;re having some issues with your TVGo devices. 

You can register 4 devices on the TVGo service and you can change these 3 times in any calendar month (the good thing is that will now reset tomorrow for you). If you register a web browser, you have to continue using the same browser each time; if you close/reboot the PV/Laptop and open up a browser window again, it will register it as a new device each time. This is listed on our TVGo help pages. 

Now you have your four slots filled, what issues are you having? Are you not able to watch or use TVGo? Are you having issues logging in or is it when you try and play anything? Let us know what isn't working and we can go from there for you. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JetPack
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I know how the system works; maximum of five devices and if I watch with different browsers they count towards my limit.

The problem started last weekend - your app was taking ages to load (has done for sometime) so I decided to uninstall and reinstall it. This seemed to solve the loading time, but when I tried to watch a channel it said "Maximum of devices reached" - so I went through the process of selecting a device to replace, saving it, but the app then displayed "Maximum of devices reached" again, so I tried to replace a device again with the same result. After three goes I got the message "You have reached the maximum of devices which can be registered to your account. etc etc".

In the app, under Settings and Device Management it says I have My Computer - Google Chrome listed three times, the name of my PC and my mobile registered, and yet none of them work! I have only changed the app. So, My Computer and my mobile should still both work, but they don't.

I tried calling, but the wait time is...well I don't know, but after half an hour I gave up and put the phone down! 

Tried live chat, but that is more like a texting service - finally got an answer after 3 days but after explaining the above she passed me on to a different person who couldn't help me either (or more precisely didn't actually understand the problem I'm having) and eventually said I only had 3 days to wait.

In the meantime I posted on here - I've seen quite a few posts with Virgin customers having the same problem, but no answers!

Anyway, the new month has rolled around and today I can finally register/replace devices - but guess what? it didn't work and I went through the exact same process as described above!!!

So, it's the new month and I have 31 days to wait before I can replace the devices, again!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
JetPack
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"If you register a web browser, you have to continue using the same browser each time;" - that makes sense.

"if you close/reboot the PV/Laptop and open up a browser window again, it will register it as a new device each time." - this reads that if you reboot your PC four times you run out of devices. That's not right, surely?

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi JetPack,

I understand where you're coming from and it is a bit picky. If for example you open TV Go in the same browser but different tabs, it may record them as separate devices. I've had a look at your details and can see that you've spoken to an agent to get the devices reset. Please let us know if you're still having problems so we can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
JetPack
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"a bit picky" - that's an understatement!

Yes, I did eventually have contact with an agent who had to reset my devices several times before the Virgin app or my browser would work correctly, without your system telling me I had to register my new device every time. So, to answer your question, no I'm not having any more problems* with viewing what I'm paying for and my Windows 10 Virgin app, web browser and mobile phone are now working as they were before.
*Although what's slightly worrying is that my devices now don't show a date of when I can replace them under Device Management, so maybe you could take a look at that? Also, I read in another post that there is now the option to delete devices, but that hasn't appeared as an option on my app, browser or mobile yet.

I don't know about your system being picky, it's more like draconian - I understand the need to protect your income, but is it really necessary to limit the amount of times you can change a device? If this limitation were removed then I wouldn't have been so frustrated; granted, my problem wouldn't have been solved, but I could've kept trying LOL. So, why is there a limit on device changing?

On the plus side, the new app I installed on my Windows 10 PC opens blindingly fast, while the Tivo box connected to my TV has always worked flawlessly, so it's not all doom and gloom.

I used to be a Sky, then BT, customer and I much prefer what Virgin has to offer (technically and content-wise), even if getting hold of a Virgin agent takes longer than trying to open the old Virgin app on a Windows PC used to take!!!!

Hope this reply doesn't come across as angry, as I'm not, I just got a little frustrated with the monthly limitation as it seems so harsh, although I do get a little angry at how loyalty has no value when I get to the end of my contract and Virgin (as with the other TV/broadband providers) think it is OK to steadily increase the charges if I don't haggle a new price - but that's a completely different discussion for another time.

I would appreciate a reply from yourselves regarding my above questions, apart from the contract one above, unless you want to 🙂 

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello JetPack

Thanks for your reply 

Sadly we as a Forum Team are not able to look at new contracts, packages etc

Hows the App now do you still need any help?

Gareth_L`

0 Kudos