Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 Red Light

Hi I've got M350 fibre coming in using a hub 3.0 router. I've had the router for a long time. Since summer, I've noticed it's got a permanent red light on the front of it, and I've read that's it telling me its too hot.

I have been expereincing a few wireless connection issues recently in my home, so I don't know if the two things are linked? 

What do Virgin suggest I do here?

Can I get a replacement router please? Or an upgrade?

If so, would I have to change the network and password info on all my internal devices that are connected?

Thanks for helping

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3.0 Red Light

Well, first thing to do is a pinhole reset, using the small hole on the back of the hub.  That'll take any tuned wifi settings back to the (rather iffy) default settings, but no big deal to change them back to what you want afterwards, or you can use the settings backup and restore in the Hub's Admin settings.

Do the reset, you'll need to use the two different default passwords on the base of the hub when you've restarted (no confusing the admin password with the wifi password).  If the red light is still there, you need a replacement hub.  The Hub 4 isn't yet offered as customer-elective choice, and in all honesty I'd say it is best avoided for the next eighteen months due to a series of teething issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tried the pin hole reset because we just had a power cut. Red light came back on.

Virgin, please can you send me a replacement router? Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've flagged that for the forum staff.  As this isn't a first line response or live chat service it might be tomorrow before they can respond, but it's still an infinitely more pleasant way of getting problems solved than risking a phone call to VM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks v much 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Harveypotter

Thanks for posting.

Just before we look at replacing the router, can I just check - the router is placed up right, nothing covering the vents on the side?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_GS,

That's correct, the router has been placed for last 4 years, upright, not surrounded by anything or closed in.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Harveypotter

Thanks for coming back to me, I'll PM you now so I can assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for joining me on PM, @Harveypotter

I've ordered the hub for you now and it'll be with you in 1-3 working days

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos