MPR2671
Joining in

How can I access BBC Teletext?

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Teletext no longer exists.

What services are you trying to access, and on what device?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @MPR2671 

Teletext was switched off in 2012. Ceefax and the BBC red button text were switched off at the beginning of 2022.

Do you mean subtitles on the BBC iPlayer?

If so  then once the episode is playing, you need to press 'Up' on the circular four way pad to get the speech bubble to appear on screen, then up again to go to the bit of the menu where you can select it.  Then when you're on it press OK to access the Subtitles option and then OK again to turn them on.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

sounds
Dialled in

BBC Teletext is still Live is was never ever turned off after protests, so don't know where some of the info is coming from although you cannot get it on Virgin, only Freeview, my wife still uses it.

Hi,

Cant even access it on freeview from my new LG TV the red button doesnt work at all.

I was getting teletex no problem 2 days ago on my old TV.

Would appreciate any advice.

Using a old Humax PVR,  from BBC 1 HD Freeview channel 101 the remote red button does give a text service.

The Freeview text services were scheduled to be phased out over 1 year ago at end of Jan 2022.

Given the widely published withdrawal plan it is not unreasonable that a new Freeview TV would omit a function that was not expected to be available when the product reached the customer.