cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horizon Go App for PC, do I need it?

gazzie
Dialled in

Hi

I sometimes watch TV on my desktop pc (Windows 10) on the virgintvgo website and using the Chrome browser. Today there is a pop up saying I should download a Horizon Go App to improve my experience. Do I need to do this? The website still works fine, and previously when I used a TVGo app they discontinued it (a year or two ago?). 

Thanks

Gaz

15 REPLIES 15

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post a screenshot of this pop-up? I suspect it's, ahem, dodgy.

And the TV-Go app is still very much alive & kicking, on Android & iOS devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yep, here it is. At least it shows on my original post but then changes to a message saying "we are just checking this image" so I hope it appears!

This pop up shows every time on first page when i visit the site, once I close the pop up, clicking the "x" it does not re appear (ie on other pages) until I leave the site and go back to it later, or next day.. Hopefully you can see it clearly. Doesn't look dodgy to me, but you can have a look and see what you think? I only use TVGo on desktop, I don't have a smart phone or tablet. I was told that the app was discontinued on PC and had to use the website, which is what I've done for a while now, and it works fine, hence surprised to see an app mentioned again. Also I've not heard of Horizon Go until this so no idea what that is?

gazzie_0-1629657173849.png

gazzie_0-1629657701841.png

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi gazzie,

I hadn't noticed the mention of Horizon Go  previously however I couldn't log in earlier today and  Horizon Go now appears on the Recommendations screen on my PC -screenshot below.(It may have been there before but I never noticed) Possibly a VM update.

I don't see the image you posted though.

Build: 3.34.17 (c97d667, 2021-08-10) © 2021 Virgin Media

Clipboard01.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi

Sorry can you clarify - do you mean you don't see my image on this forum (because it didn't appear for ages!) - or you don't see the pop up when you visit the TVGo site? The image I posted is now visible on my forum post, but it took a while. 

Does anyone know if I need to download this app when only using a Windows 10 PC? There is no mention of it anywhere else, and no communication from Virgin asking me to download it.

As I said I'm using the website in Chrome and it is working fine, is this being discontinued?

Cheers

Gaz

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There used to be a specific Windows 10 app for TV Go from the Microsoft Store. This was the app that doesn't exist anymore.

The current prompt is to install a 'web app' that Chrome and Chromium-based Edge use. Not sure about Firefox.

This 'Progressive Web App' is still the website, but behaves more like a normal app in that it can be pinned to taskbar or start menu and only shows the web interface and not the browser one.

The 'Horizon Go' reference is because Virgin TV Go is part of the Horizon platform which in the UK runs Virgin TV 360. It's made available without the recording and box control for TiVo / V6 customers. It looks like an update as removed some of the Virgin TV Go references in error.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again gazzie,

Just to clarify I saw the picture in your post, but I didn't see the pop up that you have on my PC screen.

@BenMcr 's post should clarify there's nothing to worry about.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@newapollo wrote:

Hi again gazzie,

Just to clarify I saw the picture in your post, but I didn't see the pop up that you have on my PC screen.

@BenMcr 's post should clarify there's nothing to worry about.

You've already got the web app installed base on your screenshot - you've got a specific Virgin TV Go icon in your taskbar and don't have browser UI elements at the top of the TV Go window.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Hi

OK, many thanks for the replies - but now I'm very confused 🙂

"You've already got the web app installed base on your screenshot - you've got a specific Virgin TV Go icon in your taskbar and don't have browser UI elements at the top of the TV Go window."

I don't think I have the web app installed - none of those taskbar icons are related to Virgin - if you mean the ones at the bottom of the screen? Which specific icon do you mean because I've looked at the screenshot and can't see one!

No idea what "browser UI elements" means, but I did a search and seems to say they are related to drop down lists and navigation. Well those aren't on the home page screen I copied but are on all the other pages

I've added another shot here to show you. This is definitely a website that opens in a browser and I have no app or app icon anywhere that I can see - but I'm prepared to be shown if you can see one!

gazzie_0-1629731946079.png

I always logon to the website so really confused now!